Keeping underside of deck clean

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Mackado, May 13, 2004.

1. Mackado

Mackado LawnSite Member

I would like some good ideas about the easiest way to clean under the deck. This is a dirty job. There must be a better way than just using a puddy knife under there.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mackado,

I've never found a good way to clean under the deck. Maybe one of the guys has a suggestion.

Thanks

Terry

3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

There is this product called "Mo-Deck". It's a spray-on can of stuff that I just ordered from Mow More products for $5.99.

Suppose to help keep your deck clean...we'll see.

Maybe someone who has tried it will respond.

I have used spray lubes like WD40 but it doesn't last.

http://www.mowmore.com/

4. tacraven

tacraven LawnSite Member

Buy a high quality paint scraper from home depot. They sell one with a rubber handle. It is longer than basic scrapers. It has slightly rounded edges and a heavy duty blade. This makes scraping the bottom of the deck and inside steel bags easier. I used a normal paint scraper recently and it did not work nearly as well. It was too thin and sharp in the corners.

5. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Mackado,
    I've had my Lazer Z HP for 3 years and have tried just about everything to reduce the need for frequent underdeck cleaning; Mo-Deck, Pam, other oils and silicone sprays, different blades, running at different speeds, running higher or lower blade RPM's, etc. NOTHING has worked for me! The deck must be scraped! All I can do is make it as easy as possible on myself and that means 3 things: 1) A good scraper 2) A "Jungle Jack" 3) This is the most important part ......... NEVER, no matter how tired I may be, do I ever put the Lazer away for the night until the underdeck has been cleaned. The build-up comes off very easy and is no more than a 5 minute job. If I leave it a day or two it dries like concrete and is very difficult to remove. I personally do not think polymer sprays (like Mo-Deck) or any other oil or silicone spray is worth the time and money. They do not prevent the buildup. The only advantage I did see in them is that if you do let your machine sit for a day or two before cleaning the deck, the buildup does seem to be slightly easier to remove.

There is one more thing I'm planning on trying in the next month or so .............. an eXmark "low-lift" blade. That is the only type of blade I have not used before. eXmark suggests use of this blade in "dusty" conditions. I mow primarily fescue grasses which have high moisture content and therefore readily sticks to the underdeck because of the uplift created by "high-lift" blades. I figure it's worth a try and will hope the quality of cut is not reduced to an unacceptable level. If anyone has tried this I would truly appreciate your comments.

6. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Ok fellow LCO's..... Im going to give you my secret for FREE... B'cause Im a nice guy ( SHHHhhhh dont tell the others our secret )........ clean the deck > scrape & wash... let it dry or use air to blow it dry like I do :)...... then spray it with ........................................................................................................................................................Ready............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Any guess's ????..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Oh C'mon now....take a guess....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................1st hint,,,,,,,, its found in the kitchen of most homes..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................2nd hint,,,,,, vegetables are used to make it........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Alright,,,in the words of Joe Pesche (sp) Ok,,,,Ok.....alright....Ok,,,,,,,,,, I will tell ya'...and if yuz tell D'a other family Im gonna send Tony over to have a talk wit yaz.... :)

Cooking spray !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! coat it good with the stuff and after a few applications its like that old iron skillett your grand mother gave you that makes the BEST bacon and eggs. Grass just falls off of the deck. and unlike WD-40 and other petrolium based products it is enviromentally friendly.

Have a great summer................ KH