Keeping weeds in flower beds away

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by abuilds, Mar 25, 2006.

1. abuilds

abuilds LawnSite Member

Whats the best product to keep weeds from growing up through the mulch?
    I have a real lot of beds to do so I'm going to need a fair amt.
    I'll try and post a few pictures.
    By the way for what its worth I'm obviously no landscaper. I'm a home renovations and restorations contractor/builder on Long Island in NY and this is a home I "stole" it was in such bad shape. Its circa:1680 (326 years old)on the north shore in Cold Spring Harbor and I should be finished this year (don't ask). From the stone wall the plantings go back about 15-20' and the rest is all lawn now. The front yard I planted the lawn myself after all the house excavation. In the rear and above the stone wall I had a pro do it for two grand plus they did all my plantings. I think the lawn they had to have thrown in at cost.
    I'll be building an ornimental picket fence to go out from the very front of the house to house wildflowers and shrubs in and outside of it. All the hardscaping I will do myself. Thats as close as I get to landscaping.
    The hardscaping walkways and sitting areas I think I'll use pavers in sand over fine rca.
    I don't think stone dust is as reliable as masons (white) sand. Although all the landsapers around here don't agree.:hammerhead: Tough! lol They all say I should use stone dust. I think some of the landscapers should just stick to landscaping cause us carps come closer to stone work than the landscapers do....JMO.
    Hey...I'd use a mason but I'm about outta dough and I've done quite a bit of walkways, walls and patios in the past so........

house from street.JPG

tipi Nov 9 05.JPG

from on the hill front  Sept 05 027.JPG

Finishing the final top soil prep.JPG

after with  additions and lawn.JPG
  2. StepNjump

StepNjump LawnSite Member

Hi, you have a beautiful house!!!

As for keeping weeds away, I have the same problem here.
    I know some people put cedar chips but I 'personally' don't like the looks of it too much as it doesn't look natural enough.
    Another of my neighbours used a black canvas made especially for that. It's usually good for new planters because then all you have to do is to spread this black fabric and then burry it under a thin layer of soil. Then you make your holes where you want to plant, et voila...

I'm not an expert at this at all so I'm not totally sure if this is how it's done but maybe someone else can confirm.

Pete, StepNjump
  3. abuilds

abuilds LawnSite Member

Thanks...the house is getting there :drinkup: question wasn't about what chips to put down because there already is very natural looking mulch down. I wanna put down some pellets "in" the mulch to keep the weeds from coming up. I know there's several different products on the market that even Home Depot carries but I was wondering what tried and true product is cost effective cause some of this stuff is really expensive and I have a fair amt to do.....
  4. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Around here we use granular pendamethlyom (spelling?),or pre-em for short,
    for the beds. Ive had good success over the years with it. Any chemical supplier know what your talking about. However, Im in Memphis and not sure the type of weeds being controlled up north.
    Also if when you get ready to re-mulch, you can put down the bed mat roll. Just put a slice in the edge of the mat so you can pull it around the trunk of the shrub. Then apply the per-emergent.
    You can do this in your "spare time".

Hope this helps
  5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

There is a great non commercial product called Preen its great $20,00 or so , says it covers 2500 sq feet, id say more like 1200 put it down early spring late spring it will call virtually all weed seeds or any seeds in bed. do this regualr twice a year and 99% of your problem is solved. you can get at any hardware homedepot lowes, NOTE: much will do a great job also in keeping them to a minimum
  6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Preen and spot spray dilluted round-up.
  7. abuilds

abuilds LawnSite Member

Yeh...thats what I ended up doing. Buying 4 big boxes of it and went to town. Now we'll see how it works...
  8. hvychev77

hvychev77 LawnSite Member

You can use the weed preventing fabric, from Lowes. I killed everything first with round up and then put the fabric down and a fairly thick layer of mulch. These are all new beds, and so far, only a few weeds my 1st year. Now starting my second year, i've only seen a few scarce weeds, nothing major at all!! As a direct comparison, it's much cleaner than my neighbors flower beds, who did NOT use the fabric, says he didn't believe in it. I can tell you that i'm 10 steps ahead of him in controlling the weeds. He's already planned on raking all of his mulch out and laying down fabric. It won't keep ALL of the weeds out but it will definitely help out immensely. My best advice is to use the fabric and keep a thick layer of mulch on there and in a year or two, you probably won't see any weeds! Good Luck!
  9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Landscape fabric is great if you're a contractor. Gets you out of your warranty period weed free. However, if you are the property owner, fabric is a terrible idea. Eventually weeds will come thru, then the fabric is a major hindrance. If any architects have fabric in their specs, we have it deleted before the spec is released for bid.
  10. hvychev77

hvychev77 LawnSite Member

well RTom, what do you suggest? I understand you're not a big fan of the fabric but i didn't see any solutions to the problem......