Kees Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Aug 3, 2003.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Ok this year I bought a new Kees 48 w/b with 15 Kawi. I have two questions. I have a 48 Exmark that is just about identical to the Kees, same company? Also I might be crazy but it appears that there is no way to grease the spindles on the Kees.? Any help here?
  2. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Kees and Exmark were never the same company. At one time they were both manufactured in Beatrice, Nebraska but that's as far as the connection went. Exmark is still out there but Kees is manufactured somewhere in the South. Husqvarna bought Kees manufacturing but there is still a Kees/Yazoo manufacturing facility. The Husqvarna mowers are very similar to the Kees mowers. Exmark has nothing to do with them.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

True, they are farther apart now than ever in design. They have steadily worked away from each other in this department since 1997. When Toro bought Exmark and Yazoo and Kees became one, Toro sued Y/K for infringements on the deck lift mechanism. The funny thing is, this only happened after Toro bought them ( read here ). If I remeber correctly, it was less than $100,000. They also got money from Textron for similar violations. Was there some assistance from one to the other before each were bought out that dissolved afterwards, who knows. Also, as far as I know, Y/K is still out of Beatrice, as is Encore.

Here is a common link between Exmark, Kees and Encore. D-i-c-k Tegtmeier, Encore's founder and CEO worked for F.D. Kees for 17 years. He drew up Kees first entry into the commercial mower market on a contract basis. In 1982 Mr. Tegtmeier co-founded Exmark manufacturing. In 1988 he started Encore.

That info can be found here

and here

I had to space Mr. Tegtmeier first name out because it sets off the Lawnsite sensor :D
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Probably sealed bearings in the spindel so they dont need to be greased.
  5. Keith

Yeah, I forgot that question. My 1999 Kees 61" ZTR has sealed bearings, so I would imagine they have gone to that exclusively. To ease you mind about that, I have lost one spindle in 4 years and 1804 hours :)
  6. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

ok thanks guys. Keith how is the 61 ZTR? I want one bad. Also if you don;t mind what did you pay for it?
  7. Keith

It was/is a damn good mower, no complaints. I like the Exmark better, but it's still a fine mower ;) I paid $7100 in 1999. You should be able to get a 61" ZTMax for that or less now. Not sure about the Max2. They have a lot more engine combos now. If you have a good dealer or dealers, they are certainly worth a serious look.