1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kees Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CT18fireman, Jan 5, 2005.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

An older Kees 48" Beltdrive with a 14hp Kawi. I picked it up cheap for my brother to mow his property. I have been able to use other brands for many parts, blades, belts, a spindle as there are no dealers and I think the line was bought out.

I am looking for the COMPRESSION springs that are used to keep tension on the drivebelts and the levers. They have weakened and no longer provide tension to keep the belts from slipping.

Can anyone help me out with these?
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

They merged with Yazoo, then were bought out by Husky. you should be able to get your parts from any Yazoo-Kees dealer.
  3. CT18fireman

None listed within 50 miles of me. Need to find a dealer who can ship to CT or other source. I have time for the service over the winter. Thanks for the help.
  4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

A spring is a spring is a spring...ALL DAY LONG. Take the old one off, go to the hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot, and look for the Pic-A-Nut Display and match it up. Be sure to check for length and tension. I have done this several times, and it has worked-out fine. Remember...a spring is a spring is a spring...just match it up correctly. JIM.
  5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely a Snapper. Snapper owned the company for a 3 or 4 years, broke it, and the original owner bought it back. Husky bought it a few years later.
  6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

my older exmark is similar to an older kees.
  7. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Two points I'd like to make;

1. Husky dosen't own Yazoo-Kees. Both companies are owned by Electrolux.
    Yes, it's the same company as the vacuum cleaners.
    Husqvarna Forrestry & Garden is the USA distributor focusing on both consumer & commercial, and Yazoo/Kees is sold only thru commercial distributors. Two different ways of marketing so they can sell more, which helps to hold prices down.

2. All springs are springs, but not all springs work they same,....all the time.
    Wire material, the curve (radius) of the loop, open loop vs. closed loop, number of coils vs. length, all more all influence it service life & function.

Part # 101977 retails for about $3.
  8. CT18fireman

I knew all springs were not the same Mower. Thanks. Any idea where I can order those springs from? They are the compression style and not extension correct?
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

10. Mower Man

Mower Man LawnSite Member

Will have info on dealers to you tomorrow.
    If any problem, PM me, and I'll help.