1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kelp, Alfalfa, soy... oh my!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, Apr 24, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Can anyone fill me in on what the fundamental roles of each of these are?

I read over the faq by the way I'm looking for some more here.

How much, when, why one or the other.

Feel free to mention an organic product I didn't include.
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

They are all foods to feed the different biology in the soil. Kelp and fish have great nutrients that help the plant grow.

Fungi like cellulose and more complex stuff, bacteria like simple sugars, which one are you trying promote, feed it that

The grains usually have a lot of proteins that are good sources of natural N
  3. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

well the broad question award goes to....some further research will yield a broad and varying response to almost all those feed in puts, an example CMG, its used for weed control, and some will say that its also good fungal control because it harbors some types of GOOD fungus. there are other examples so narrow your needs? and ask away. nature does some incredible things, that we dont really under stand fully, as a collective that is.
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Alfalfa is claimed to have root growth enhancing properties. Soys are higher protien, therefore higher N.
    Wheat could actually be used to bind up P , before it breaks down and releases it again. Lots of ideas out there, the question is how much is folklore and how much really makes a difference on your soils and in your climate.
    Test for yourself before you bet your business and reputation on many of these ideas.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

How or why does wheat bind up the P?
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Last fall or winter Gerry Miller had brought that point to our attention and it had the active ingredient named and everything. I googled the chemical.
    The first thing that occurred to me was putting it in the muck of stinky lake and then removing and using for horticultural puropeses.

The discussion never went anywhere, and I never bookmarked, evidently. :(
  8. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

By the way I applied kelp and tea today.

I don't know what the seaweed does really all I know is that its microbe meat so I used it.

I'm pretty excited:)

Soil tests better come in soon though I'm starting to wonder if they lost my stuff or not.......
  9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Its mostly K but also Seaweed fertilizers are an especially usefull product in organic gardening. They contain almost every micro-nutrient in a fully chelated (immediately available) form. They deliver a healthy dose of natural plant hormones. Seaweed is also loaded with carbohydrates, which the plants use as a building block and which large populations of beneficial micro-organisms use as a food source.
  10. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I put this in another thread and got no bites...Can anyone enlighten me?

I have some of Organica's "microbial conditioner" which has lime in it. Do I risk damaging my lawn with it. Should I get a soil test done first?http://www.organica.net/consumer4stepmsc.asp

Has anyone used this stuff? ... and the results?