Kelp meal on turf with pics

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by terrapro, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've looked into using kelp meal a few times in the past.
    Compared to other meals (especially corn & soybean) it's simply not cost-efficient to use in any large scale in this region of the country because of too much freight $.

2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

So I skipped a few days because nothing drastic has accured. No noticable greenup difference between test plot and existing turf.

New pictures 9AM 4/25/09. Air temp 68, soil temp 67.

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4510.jpg

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

soil temp at what depth?

4. cbtexas

cbtexas LawnSite Member
    from texas

what kind of grass is that in your picture?

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We have the Forsythias in bloom yesterday - and - just today I talked with a friend that claimed actual soil temps were 44 degrees.

Is this the part of Michigan below the Mason Dixon line?

6. terrapro

LOL, yes. No, The first test I took myself at 4" and the second I pulled off the following site. http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx

We have had strange weather fluctuations this year in central MI. Lots of ups and downs, We will go from 80deg to 40deg in 24hr period a couple times per week. Our forsythias have been in bloom for about a month now. Just a few days ago all of my variety of bulbs were up at the same time.

The grass is most likely KBG. No special seed here.

Now for the exciting update........nothing! No significant change what-so-ever.

=kelp meal not a good overnight "greenup" tool. Maybe if it was applied at twice the amount I used which was 1lb per 100sq but I felt it was expensive at that at $2 per lb. Supplemental it has its place I am sure but my 1/8" compost I spread 2 days ago on my front yard has had more overnight greenup than this has in a week. Stick to post, cheaper and more effective.

7. terrapro

I did have a strange occurance on some minature daffodils yesterday though. I had brewed 5gal 24hr compost tea and mixed it 2:1 water to tea and mixed in 6oz of molasses. I applied it to my front yard and in my landscape beds. Within 20 minutes of spraying it seemed to have caused my minature daffs to bloom?!

8. Smallaxe

Wow, I didn't realize that You guys had that much protection from the Lake - or whatever the difference is. We got the 80 to 40 degree swing last weekend, but otherwise we have only seen 70 degrees one other time in April. I imagine there was frost in low lying areas last night.
    What is your Average Last Frost date? I think ours is around the end of May.

9. terrapro

Actually no frost last night. This morning when I awoke it was 48deg out and rainy, now it is actually colder at 43deg. Last night when I went to bed it was 65deg or so.

I am pretty sure the last frost is mid-May, I dont plant annuals until past that date.

10. Smallaxe

That's a cool map. Thanks.

After 3 inches of rain in the past couple days we are supposed to get out of the 40's now. Mowing has just come to a few yards so far. Interestingly enough the organic lawns without automatic irrigation grew first.
    The overwatered ones, who also use synthetic NPK - will come in last the way it looks now. I wonder which factor contibuted most the late growth spurt. N apps were applied over a week ago for those lawns too.