Kentucky Guys and Gals

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bad_chad48, Mar 2, 2006.

1. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

Hello to all... I have a quick question or should I say kinda of a poll. I install many many lawns around here. I was just courous what kind of seed do you use and with what kind of results??? I am currently using Lesco Teammates and am getting so so results... Granted the clay is more dense on some properties than others.
    Criteria: Harley Rake, Seed at 8lbs Per K, Lesco Starter Fert, and Straw. Absolutely no such thing as irrigation around here and even if there was no one would do it...
    I have used Sothern States Turf fescue with absolutly 0% satisfaction.
    What seed do you use?

2. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I use Lesco's Transition Blend, and have had excellent success with it. It's been my experience, no matter what seed I'm using, if it isn't watered properly, it doesn't give the optimum results.

3. bad_chad48

Hey thanks for getting back to me. I actually used the Transition Blend Last fall for the first time. I only used it on One lawn and it seemed to come up fine but has lacked the time to really become established. It was more of less a test lawn for me. Have you ever used the Team-mates if so how did it compare. Also What kind of rates are you applying the seed at? What kinds of results are you getting for your spring seedings? Thanks Chad

4. bad_chad48

Kilroy, also what part of KY are you from... What is your typical soil structure?

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

hey neighbor how are ya ? i am close to ya here in e-town ,let me tell ya a few things so call me 270 763 8322 thanks george

6. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

No, on the TeamMates. I follow the applications rates on the Lesco bags; works for me. Any seeding I have to do, is done in the fall; no time in the spring. I use the Transitions Blend because I find it to be fast germinating and drought resistant. NKY. Heavy clay. HTH

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We stay with trigold,no problems so far we tried teamates last season so so.

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

lesco is for starters there products are ok but on a very basic level, for seed we get custom blended mixes i have been using the triple crown elite which works very well. I dont like lesco cause there employees think there the gods of lawn care . So i do not use there services, dont get me wrong i like some of there stuff but i cant deal with the arrogant employees.So lesco if your listening get your emplyees an attitude adjustment its costing you big bucks . see ya george

9. bad_chad48

Hey George Glad to hear from you again. And I will give you a call Thanks.

To Elaborate a little more about my Company. I install basically 20 to 30 lawns a year. Some large some small. I understand and preach the importance of irrigation to each and every one of my customers. I even have a detailed instruction sheet that is handed to the customer as soon as I finish. BUT... as most of you know... you can talk, wisper, and even yell at a brick wall telling it to slide back 3 inches but that is all that has happened.
    I study the test results that the University of KY produces testing the seed for KY.. but I have to take that with a grain of salt.. they irrigate, they have better soil. SO I can't expect to have the same results as them. That is why i started this post. I want to get actual results from actual people that install lawns with similar soil conditions.

10. bad_chad48

I am looking for that perfect seed you know the one that is perfectly 2.5 inches in 24hrs and stays green year round... you know the one in your lawn.. Ha Ha.
    This is my image on the line... My image as neighbors drive by a lawn that I install seeing me and my trucks setting there... Do you kind of see my point.
    But I am looking for a seed that (Fescue... Basicaly... A Variaty that will look Good to the homeowner that does not have irrigation system, to old to water with sprinklers. And one that will look awesome if they are able to do so...
    Also if any of you that reply... do you have any pics of your installs using the paticular seed variety...
    Thanks Chad