Kenworth t170

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by zedosix, Feb 2, 2008.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone had a look yet at the new class 5 series Kenworth. I am test riding one on Monday and am quite excited about this new model. From what I can tell the motor is a cummins and tranny is an alison, it has the engine brake also. What a classy truck this is. As far as I can see the pricing is no more than a chevy 5500 with the duramax motor. I test road the 5500 last week and was not impressed. Lots of power, but everything shook and the brakes squeaked, the dash would vibrate so much I had to hold it with my hand to stop it. I know its not a luxury car I'm buying but those creaks and moans would drive me mad. It had no load in it other than a foot of ice and snow, I was not impressed with the stopping ability. Can't imagine what it will be like hauling 6 tons behind.

2. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

hello zedosix,

That should be a sweet truck.. Also take a look at the new peterbilt 325...I just bought one and pricing suprised me. There is a peterbilt dealership in Brampton as well as whitby. It also can the Cummins px-6 300hp with options of allison auto or the fuller manual.

3. zedosix

I will have a look but don't want to get into more than 60k with taxes. Including the dump unit. What did you buy, what are the specs. Did you try the kenworth, I've been doing some research but it is very limited at this time.

4. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

hey zedosix,

This is how we specd our truck: 300hp engine, 6 speed manual fuller, limited slip differential, cd player, lug tires, we spent a little unnecessary $$ by getting the chrome package as well as a visor/swan hood emblem. The aluminum cab is also a great thing...no rust. our chassis went for 48k and we got an aluminum 12' pto dump body on it 13k. If you go without the chrome package i bet you can get the same specd truck for about 46k. We got a steel body quote as well with pto and it came to 10k. PM me if you want more info.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

a kenworth and peterbilt are virtually the same truck...both owned by paccar, i would be surprised if there was a big difference in price between the KW and Pete

6. zedosix

Yes I just had a look and they both seem to be close except maybe the interior looks a bit different. I've been told that the frame is rated at 120,000psi, which is about twice the strength of most other trucks. The whole drivetrain, spring set up looks heavy duty. I think they underrated the rear capacity to 11500. I can't wait to test drive one.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if the 5500 you drove was 4x4. Mine is and it is brutally rough riding. Here is what I found on the brakes. The first 1000 miles they made noise and I was not happy. I don't know if it is the coating on the pads or discs or what but it stopped. The truck will shut down a heavy load very well. Some of the issue may have been lack of load which is typical of heavy sprung trucks which this certainly is. The vibrating and shaking is an issue and I am not happy about it. The cab needs to be isolated better. Overall, I like the truck very much for what it does right. Great off road ability, power, superior stability when running with heavy loads, the best I have driven. Mine has been overall dependable (35K on the clock and 3 warranty issues, two of those required it to be towed). The truck is sexy I think and projects a postive image IMHO. The downside is poor fit and finish in the cab, vibrations in the cab, rough riding (air bags would help and should be standard). I don't like those issues but I chose to live with them. I am hoping that when I am due to trade that it is improved in those areas. IH has bought the rights to the GM med. duty trucks. I don't know if that is good or not but it will certainly be different. The other thing I don't like is having to take it to a medium duty dealer to have it worked on. Being able to take it to the IH dealer would be a plus for me. That I have in my area. If you can get a Kenworth for the same money with the same specs that would be appealing (do they make it in 4X4?). Remember though the axle rating however underspeced they maybe are the numbers DOT will look at when you pulled over (which you are probably aware of).

8. zedosix

It was a 4x2 I rode in. I did like it overall, but this truck had 3000km on it and the last guy burned a hole in the head liner with his cigarette. I wasn't happy about seeing that since I don't smoke. Anyway overall nice truck it looks identical to my 6500 (same color cab and box) but I will not buy based on color matching. The kenworth has a very classy interior and overall if it rides the way it looks I may be buying it.

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

You truck is crew cab ,plus 4x4,so with that said how did it in price compared to the ones being looked out.Which with the two options mention that would add up pretty fast i would guess.Just a ball park figure higher or lower.:usflag:

10. zedosix

You talkin to me or Ksss?