1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kept My Customer From a "scrub"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Finger, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the story.

Last winter I gave an estimate to a customer. She liked the estimate and decided to go with the yearly service.
    This year I called her and told her when the sevice was going to start and she told me that she went with someone else. I told her what do you mean you went with someone else.(politely)
    I said Miss before I get off the phone, can you answer a few questions.

She said ok.
    Was the guy in uniform that gave you that estimate?
    Was the guy professional, did he give you a business card?
    Was the guy insured that gave you the estimate. (because you live in a 1/4 million dollar home)
    Did he give you a phone number where he could be reached.(cellphone)

Her answer was NO to all the above.

She said let me call you back.

She calls me back and says I'm going with you. I'm keeping my contract with you.
    Now Note:
    My contract was higher than the OTHER guy, and she still went with me.

My point is communicate with your customers on a REGULAR basis.
    Be professional, and show your credentials, and you shouldn't have to worry about any "busters" trying to jack you for your customers.

Keep in touch with your customers.
  2. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

It is good to know some people still care about quality and not price. Now you will most likely not have to think about her leaving you anymore as she has been shown the difference between a pro and an amateur. Dam good show go GetÂ’em.

Mo,mo,mo yo self quickly to de bank!
  3. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

AWESOME!!! Its a shame we cant bust all the butts like that, wouldn't that be great. Scrubs could start a site....... http://www.lawnscabs.com and b*tch about the professionals taking all there business =). I would love it heh.
  4. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

Homeowners point of view....

I think it would help you guys to attach a copy of your insurance certificate (and any other credentials such as applicators license copy) to your bid/literature.

My thought are the single biggest thing that your going to do the keep them from using "Joe-low-ball" is to scare them into what may happen IF something bad does occur and their contractor does not have insurance/license, etc.

In what I do for a real living, we get copies of insurance certificates from ALL subcontractors before they are allowed on a jobsite.
  5. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Jet I agree.

It seems to be a hot topic for everyone to talk about scrubs but you never hear anyone talking about what makes their customer base "scrub proof".

Like putting your insurance paperwork in with your bid. In doing that it sets a standard. So when the next person submits a bid, the customer knows what to look for based off your bid.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

ahhh education IS the key to success ;->
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Good news greenfinger.
  8. Good to hear that Green Finger. I always let my customers know that I'm insured so if anything was to get damaged due to something I did while working of their property, they know it will be fixed. Chalk one up for the pro's.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

You mean to tell me you were dressed in a uniform and didn't wear your thug gear, greenfinger?

No tommy gear, triple fat goose, or fubu?

And she could understand your ghetto talk?

B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member
    from nc

good job man that means there is up for us yet

its bad when we have to watch our lawn like a halk