Keys to Success

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mothernature, May 4, 2005.

1. mothernature

mothernature LawnSite Member

Alright, all you seasoned veterans...Just wondering in a "nutshell" what you think your top 3 keys to success are/were. I'm just starting out, have the self-employed background, but this is a new venture. I think I have the right stuff, but just wondering what you have done to outlast the competition and become better than the others. Thanks for all your replies!

2. googleplex

googleplex LawnSite Member

This is ony my second year in business, so take this for what it's worth.
    But, you're talking about an industry with VERY low barriers to entry, and one where everyone (both customers and competition) thinks they know how to do it. So, the one piece of advise I would give is to be professional. I'm a big fan of Michael Gerbers E-Myth books.
    Hope it helps!

3. MowinGuy

MowinGuy LawnSite Member

"I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is to try to please everybody" Bill Cosby

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

one yard at a time. one day at a time. don't try to get too big too fast. image IS everything.

5. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

One of my first customers told me one of the most important things you can do is return all phone calls. I have followed this advice and about once a month I will still get thanked by new customers for calling them back. The only other advice I can give is to do the best job you can do. Never forget that there are a lot of other LCO out there. Never give your customers a reason to think about anyone else. Sell yourself on quality and service, not price. Good luck.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'm in agreement with Warren Buffett there are two keys:

1. Never lose money on anyhting

2. Don't forget rule number 1!

7. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

Hey Mothernature,

1) Plan. Probably the single biggest reason for failure in this business (and other small businesses) is lack of planning or poor planning. Got a business plan? Got a marketing plan?

2) Know your numbers. You don't need to be an accountant but learn and understand your key numbers (i.e. Income statement/cash flow projections).

3) Lack of experience is another big reason for failure. Both on the business side and the technical side. Read lots! Keep learning. Get certified.

I wish you much success in your company!

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Our book of the month 'Start & Run A Landscape Business' Click Here </font></marquee>

Hi mothernature,

Also keep marketing your business. Be there when your potential customers need you.

9. mothernature

mothernature LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info so far--I appreciate all the advice.
    Mowboy, are you talking about getting certified in the fertilizer aspect?? In Indy, I believe that is handled through the State Chemist Office...What else would I need to get certified in?

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

#1-Be honest in your dealings with people at all times in all areas of your life.
    #2.Do what you say your gonna do...
    when you say your gonna do it.
    #3-Do the best you can do..
    every time you do it.