kholer command 20 or dixie chopper trouble?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flam41, Oct 27, 2005.

1. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

I have a dc coatsville kh20hp 50" ~1 year old. left piston rod broke last friday.
    oil, rgular matinance whole 9 yards.
    1 has any one else had trouble w/ piston
    2 should there be warranty issues?
    3 has any1 ever called in a major warranty 4 dc or kholer?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is a Kohler issue and not a DC issue. Kohler stands behind their engines better than Kawasaki but it really comes down to the dealer. If the dealer thinks you abused the engine in any way then Kohler will never pay on it. Take it to the dealer.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Richard is right, If you feel it should be covered under warranty Take the unit to your Kohler dealer. They will perform a failure analysis on the engine and determine the cause of failure and make a decision whether to warranty it or not. If they find it not covered they will most likely charge you for checking it out.
    Good Luck

4. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. my dealer does all my regular service work so hopefully all will be ok. It's frustrating to have a warranty, but still not know 100% if you are going to be ok.
    Looks like it might be time for a back up walkbehind.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Unless you have abused it, Kohler will warranty that with no problem. We are an authorized Kohler service center, and I have never had a problem with Kohler on warranty issues.
    Where are you located in Texas? Just curious, as there have not been any DC dealers to speak of up here in north Texas for a while.

6. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

Paris texas
    with dealer doing all oil changes & service it should be ok.
    thanks

7. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

Yea dixie should be ok. And id recocider the generiac. They are MUCH more forgiving on waranty work. Plus a 3 year waranty.

8. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

Ok, the update.
    Kholer rep came & looked at engin. It took two hours of " discussion" . Finally got the warranty.
    A bad gasket let in a bunch of debris.
    it tore one side of the twin all to hell & the other side was clean, so it wasent an oil or maintinance issue.
    I then turned around & ordered a bagging system for the chopper.
    Wasn't going to do that till all was right.
    Thanks~

9. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

I Got a three year on the kholar as part of the finance package.