1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kholer engines

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by backtobasicslawncare, Jun 16, 2007.

1. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

i was wondering is kholer engines any good. i heard they are junk engines and how about the oil filters?? i was wondering i have a kholer engine in my craftsman. i always like briggs and straton engine.

michael :usflag:

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We have one Gravely260z with a kohler and I hate it always problems (carb etc) not with Gravely but with kohler all our other machines have Kawaski and there great
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I think Kohler makes one of the best small displacement air cooled engines on the market.
    I have seen the old L type run over 3000 hours with out problems.
    I have seen their Command series run over 2500 hours without problems.
    I am aware Kohler had some initial problems with their fuel injection system but that has been long since corrected.
    As a side note, I also have five Kawi powered ztrs, three of which are the Gravely Rapid series stand ons. I'm glad to see that Kawi corrected a continual problem on their earlier engines wherein debris build up in the starter solenoid meant once the engine was warm it was virtually impossible to re-start. I had four of these engines on '02-04 ztrs give me hemorrhoids until I changed motors to Kohlers.
    More importantly, you will find everyone here has their preferences so good luck with your choice.
  4. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

my exp. w/ kohler has been a positive one.
    i would not hesitate to purchase another product w/ this engine.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have had better luck with kohler than kawasaki engines. I think however its kind of like the echo or stihl debate, just personal preferance.
  6. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

Kohler in a 2003 Craftsman and a 2006 Kubota, no problems yet.
  7. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

well i have 2003 Craftsman i got and i just hear they usally have problems. i have 0 problems so far.

thanks for help.
  8. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

my lazer is a 98' model year, been thru 1 hour meter thus far and a few starter's but engine has been GOOD!
  9. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Have kohler on our G15 Deere and had several Kohlers never had a problem other than the "Kohler Knock" Sometimes when you shut it down. We have a Kawi on Deere 717a and I think the kohler has more power with 2 less horses.
  10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 03 john deere with a kohler and its starting to give me problems. I had a craftsman tractor with a briggs and stratton and it always ran good.