kick back to the nursery...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 13, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

this morning i had to run to a nursery up the block. i needed just a weeping maple and a Pom pom, no big deal, and see the sod delivery schedule. anyway, i bough the maple and the pom pom. the maple was retail $260, he charged me $150 cash. pompom was $110, charged me $90. i made a little dough for doing virtually no labor. The guy that runs the nursery during the week is just a manager, not the owner. I tiped the amigo for loading my truck up, but not the manger/casheir. i wondered after if i should've thrown him $20 bucks... do you tip "that" guy usaully? I never have in 6 years, but today it seemed he gave me a bigger then usaul discount on the maple.

2. fga

thats supposed to be kickback "to" the nursery..

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

:waving: :laugh:

Hi Pot, Kettle Here!..... You're Black!!!!

4. GreenMonster

from NH

and no, I don't typically tip the nursery. My "amigo" has never discounted a tree that much for me, though.

I've tipped the delivery guy though. They tend to remember that stuff. It can be helpful down the road, when you REALLY need something.

5. fga

i was alittle dazed when i was typing... the thought of you and keith Hernandez, talking about getting past "first base"... :D :help: :waving:

Delivery guys i tip also, but i don't have things delivered often enough for them to remember me and the generous donation i make in there pocket. :angry:

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

nothing wrong with tipping anyone, it can only help long term. I did a stone path for someone last month, and when I got done I actually felt like I overcharged them a bit although they made no mention of it at all. So, I sent them a gift card to a great resturant in Saratoga Springs NY for $50 and wrote in the card, "thanks again for your business, enjoy a meal on me"

7. GreenMonster

from NH

On that note, I will graciously bow out of this thread ;)

8. chevyman1

I also am sending gift cards to local resturants to the nursery I use, the mulch delivery guy I use, and others from the year...its the best way to establish yourself and get the best referral routes..

9. fga

wow. I've never seen you back out of a sarcasm duel.... checkmate. :cool: speaking of being done, have the sox given up on the division yet? I feel like Kerry with my flip flopppin' yankee emotions.

10. chevyman1

Hey Adam, I believe the Yanks run is finally over...they may even win the division still, but the Sox are World Series bound....Curt Schilling has the golden touch, and the Yanks pitching staff is shaky at best...you can't win in the playoffs without pitching