kickbacks? friendly thank you? seriously...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cuts, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

do any of you have friends or relatives that "take care of you" or push your name as an LCO???

I have a friend here who has got me a considerable amount of work $$$ or has at least got me in the door in order to bid yearly contracts. Last year he pushed me into a $25,000/contract... this year.... way over that.... Says he wants to make me a millionaire someday... :) In fact, just about all the commercial work I was awarded was because of him 'pushing my name'

I wanna do something nice for him (he won't take $$$) but I'm clueless and DON'T wanna come off as 'ungrateful'

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Drop a gift card from restaurant, home improvement store, B&B, whatever in the mail to him.

Either that, or do some work around his house for him without charging.

I have a bank that I've been doing for about 8 years. In that 8 years, the owner has gotten me 7 other accounts in the area they're developing around the bank.

He gets free fertiliizing at his house for the year.... it's a small 50x100' lot, so I'm out about 4-5 bags of feritilizer / year, plus my labor.

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i do a small lot for free,,i even help carry groceries if i'm there....

they got me nearly 15 large in hardscaping refferals

way i figured its a cheap write off

Nate

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I have a few people like that. I will sometimes do work for cost for them, I dont pay myself for the time but cover all other expenses. Or I will spend a weekend or two a year helping them out with other things like home improvement. A thank you card is always nice to thank them for landing you a good account.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Gift card to a nice restaurant and throw in $30 for a babysitter . His wife will be real happy. And you know the saying " a happy wife makes for a happy life"

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

yea... gift cards is what I was thinkin'.... I already do his lawn twice a month.. no charge of course.... gonna mulch his house- 20 yards, so I guess that'll be free labor for me... :confused:

7. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use gift cards myself. I have one sales person for a local home builder that I frequently buy her gift cards to Starbucks.

8. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice little houseplant from the nursery I use and a gift certificate from the nursery as well (discount rate for me because it promotes them too). For a bigger thank you I add a gift certificate from a local restaurant.

9. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

The bigger the company and contract, the bigger the kickbacks.

I know people who have installed irrigation systems, and done landscape work and full service lawn care for buyers.

There are some that pay big $$$ for their commercial biz, but get their homes done free so the work is a deductable expense.

I know there are much bigger kickbacks than that.

If you are repaying a customer with a "biggie" for years of great patronage, and out of the blue, that is one thing. If you are are offering a quid-pro-quo, which personally benefits the buyer for a company, that is a bribe. It happens plenty, but people can lose their jobs over it.

10. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

This is a great idea. I wish I had something to recommend so I could get it.:laugh: