1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Jan 12, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Do any of you give kickbacks to landscapers for their referals, I dont like to be a sub, if the contractor stops paying me I cant sue the homeowner.

What kind of referal reward do you give the homeowner that reccomends you to his neighbor?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I used to give a free application when i sold a referral. It worked out OK.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Good idea Riggle. Humble needs to give em a Lime app free....It's CHeap!
    Ive done that before. They're glad to get it.
  4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I give $20 for a new seasonal customer + more in a christmas card at years end... makes a huge difference.. mower guys lub me.. and referrals just keep comin'
  5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We offer:

- !0% prepay
    - $5.00 Senior discount(one time)
    - Free appl. on 6-appl. package(lime or late fall)
    - Free appl. on referral (lime or late fall)
    - Price of one appl. as sales commission(paid on 2nd appl. payment)

The word "free" is a great sales tool. Just watch your #'s.

We also send out "Thanksgiving" cards.
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer to call it a finder's fee as far as a landscaper referal goes. In NY, I am not allowed to sub any pesticide apps, by law I must have a seperate signed contract with the customer directly. Since this is the first year I will be certified, I have no idea how I might handle this yet.

I am not crazy about customer give backs on referals. I figure if they like my work, they will recommend my services. I started last year with 10 properties, and finished with 30, all on unpaid referals. I want to dump at least 15 of them though, a lot of them aren't regulars and are price shoppers that needed some cuts because their LCO started charging fuel surcharges and whatnot. I'm looking for more upscale properties this year with apps.

As for freebies, I think I might consider an ornamentals fert feeding instead of a sercive I am more likely to get anyway, like lime. That way I keep the billing, and open the door to other than standard apps. In other words, give them a free "extra" service, instead of a "standard" service for free.