Kicker type sod cutter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NickN, Mar 2, 2004.

1. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Has anyone used a kicker type sod cutter?I've got a small sod removal job to do and in no way can justify the cost of renting a powered sod cutter.
    Saw the kicker type in a catalog.Even though it's more than a rental,it'll be mine when I finish the job.Might come in handy for other small jobs in the future as well.

Do they work pretty well?Looks simple enough in the catalog,but I wonder how it works in the real world.
    Thanks!
    Nick

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used one before but I watched somebody use one, said it worked better if the soil was wet, then he had to clean the mud off of the blade and roller, looked like it worked but it was a mess.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have 1 workes great worth the money u can set the blade heigth to how thick u want to cut

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We use them all the time. Work great for those small sod removal projects where you don't want to haul the big heavy motorized ones along for a small patch.

Keep the blade clean and well polished. When you first get it, clean all the paint off the blade and polish it well.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Thanks for the replies guys!Good to hear that they work.