Kickers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, whats the deal with the kickers in the 21 inch toro heavy duty. I was scrapin my deck clean cause its been raining and hailing like crazy every day of this week and I noticed that all three of the kickers are broken. whats the point of these things and can i take them out and not loose cut quality?

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

They serve as a ramp. The grass clippings hit them at high speed and they ride the ramp down into the lawn. They're all about mulching.

No idea how it will perform if you remove them...

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

OOO, but if these things are breakin, cause there made from plastic, i dont know what gave toro the bright idea to use plastic under the deck, but if there breakin, they cant be serving their purpose that well.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

You're right, of course. I've never seen one break, myself, but Toro seems to get cheaper every year in quality...

If they aren't serving their purpose, just undo 'em. You've got nothing to lose by trying it out. It's pretty difficult to mess around with airflow negatively on a 21"...

Worst case scenario: replace them... Find an old broken one (provided the design didn't change for those)...

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

yeah, thats what ill do just to give it a shot. imma be visting my dealer to get a new blade cause mine is the same one it came with. ive have it for a freaking year and now its leaving streaks and blades of uncut grass. its deff. time for a new blade, wouldnt you think, lol.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

I have a 2007 also, and I absolutely hate it. It leaves uncut grass all over the place, doesn't mulch worth a crap. Total waste of $1,300.00 :hammerhead:

7. TheChiefsLawnCare

ooo i like it when it cus good lol, i think it jus needs a new blade, ive had this same blade for 2 season and sharpened about 3 times, lol,i dont sharpen them very often

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I do not do grass mulching with my Toro Proline, so I take the kicker plates out. I also use a high-lift blade, and use a bungee cord to pull the door up tight in the discharge chute. The combination of these three steps make the mower a much better bagger for me.

I do install the kicker plate in the Fall, when I use the mower exclusively for leaf mulching. I also use a standard OEM blade, not the high-lift blade.

9. TheChiefsLawnCare

any body know if the mulchin performance will be bad if i take the kickers out, or will it be the same, im using the oem blade if that helps any.

10. TheChiefsLawnCare

^^^bump^^^