Kicking my ass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hanau, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Studying for the Idaho applicators test on Dec 9. **** there's a lot of math and science involved with this stuff. :dizzy:

How many of you guys passed the test the first time you took it?

Did you take more than 2 months to prep for it?

I'm going to call Green Team Systems tomorrow and order their crash course to help me cram for the exam.

This is a service that would be nice to add next year, there's a ton of products on the market. I'm up to my neck in catalogs.

Yep, it's kicking my ass but I got that satisfied feeling I get when I'm in over my head struggling not to drown. :laugh:
  2. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I passed it on my first time luckily! It def. wasnt easy you really need to study. Good luck hope everything goes well
  3. Hanau

Is the test multiple choice? Multiple choice I can usually find the right answer through process of elimination. When it's fill in the blank my brain seizes.
  4. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

i dunno with the Idaho test, but when i took the Oklahoma i got a 94% i think if i remember correctly. i just read the books 2 times so i dunno. was multiple choice mostly i think as well.
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

1st timeer here. no sweat, but then again i have a degree in turf management. i got liek a 97% then, and i think a 85 percent or so on the ornamental which i was not as familiar with as turf
  6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I passed the basic test, but failed the turf test the first time. I thought I could just read the
    books and pass. I studied the turf book the second time and passed. There were some math questions on calibration and a calculator was required when taking the test.

Some states have classes that make the test easier. I think they tell you what the questions are for the test.
  7. Hanau

I got yet more study material, the legal stuff is the hardest. I ain't no lawyer and it's hard to comprehend exactly what they mean on some of this stuff.

There are some cool tools available for spraying lawns. That's the fun part of all this. All the new shiny stuff I get to buy when I pass the test.
  8. drobin

drobin LawnSite Member

In NY I passed barely, math was my strength and they hardly put any math questions on it, somewhere in the middle I started to panic thinking I can't believe Im going to fail but somehow I turned the ship around enough to pass. I feel for you though it wasn't easy. thats a good thing because difficulty makes it harder to enter the field and less competition. Go for It!-Dave
  9. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Well over 90% on all sections first time; I took it extremely seriously. First time back I should say. I completed Michigan State's turf program in 1981 and was licensed for many years. I then did something completely unrelated for 15+ years. When I decided to re-enter this field I did not want to do so with a just passing score. You sound like you have a good approach, you should do fine on your first try. When you do, that will be the beginning, rather than the conclusion, of your learning and responsibilities.

Our tests were multiple choice. For the business license there was a face to face interview with the inspector too, who seemed interested in helping me not preventing me from qualifying. There are some obvious gimmies to anyone who has read the material or has just been around a while. On others though they try to confuse you. I don't think you need to remember any of those labels or catalogs you mentioned, but you will have to interpret a couple labels they show you with legal and coverage/application/calibration type answers. My sense of it was they assume you will know or find out what the appropriate pesticide is and they are more interested in how you will safely apply it, keep track of it, and make mixing and coverage decisions based on the law, which is the label, which is the law.

What I found difficult is making all the paperwork come together at the same time: proof of insurance, experience and education affidavit, test scores, and applications. One of the women in our MDA office was a lot of help explaining what they really wanted in terms of seemingly redundant paperwork. It wasn't, but it was overwhelming.

Good luck.
  10. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

If you can read a label and understand it you will be able to pass the first time. The hardest part is the weed id because they are black and white drawings.