Kick'n grandma to the curb!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 29, 2000.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Had a great phone conversation with one of my customers the other day. The history: Last year we agreed on the monthly price for service and I took over her lawn care. While prepairing for aeravation I took a soil sample, pH 4.7 and hardly any grass. Applied lime, seeded, aeravated and this year she has had the best looking lawn on her street!<p>Here in Charlotte, we have had one of the driest spring and summers on record. As of today she had applied ZERO water to her lawn, to compound that we have had an occasional shower at night when the temps were 75 degrees and brown patch has broke out. <p>She calls and complains because due to the drought the grass is growing slower and looking &quot;bad&quot;. She then states &quot;I'm not sure what kind of seed you used but my yard has never looked this bad&quot;. <p>I reminded her that most living things need water, because she choose not to water, it was not my fault! I then offered to bring her photos of her lawn last year when I took over, we could then compaire and see if it's &quot;the worst ever&quot;. She quickly backtracked on her comment because she didn't know I had before photos! She even griped when I charged her for the fungicide application, and I charged her just above my cost!<p>The lession, if possible document a new property when you take over, if any questions arrise you have your proof. If a customer gripes and argues about every penny, they are probably not worth it!<p>I am writing her a letter advising her to find another lawn care service. I cannot and will not take the blame because she is too tight or lazy to water her lawn.<p>Ray<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn
  2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. Good idea to have a record of the lawn before and after services.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, sorry Ray, I thought this was a different thread. I thought SCAG48 was getting even with Grandma!! LOL<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  4. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

That is a good idea with before pictures, The new customers always complain that the lawn looked better last year. at least now you can prove them wrong. Tom
  5. greenlawncare

greenlawncare LawnSite Member

Guido:<p>Oh, man I've been LOL (&quot;laughing out loud&quot; for all those who were too scared to ask!) for the last 15 minutes.<p>That's exactly the same reason I came here! I totally forgot he was the guy who's mom drove him everywhere! What a situation!<p>More net stuff for the beginners:<p>LOL - Laughing out loud<br>BTW - By the way!<br>; + ) = ;)<br>: + ) = :)<br>: + ( = :(
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

TEST<p>;)<br>:)<br:mad:<p>TEST<p>Okay sorry, I'm not a dumbass, it just never worked for me before. Maybe I was putting a space in between or something?? <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: guido