kiddies on the lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlies, Apr 11, 2004.

1. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

last season, i saw several small companies in the summer mowing with 12 and 13 year olds. I am assuming it was their children. does anyone else here find that to be slightly unprofessional? as a homeowner, i would call another lco the moment i discovered it. as a business owner, i am a little perturbed by it. like guys mowing w/out shirts, w/out proper licenses, guys not paying taxes, etc, etc, i think it gives our industry a bad image.

how would you feel if they wheeled you into the room to have surgery and the doc and his boy were scrubbing up?

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fine as long as his son knew what he was doing or was being wached.

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

While I agree with you that 12 and 13 year olds are a little young to be working for a commercial LCO, I have a hard time comparing a lawn care operator to a surgeon.

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

never had a job as a kid? isnt there enough for people to worry about than kids doing lawn work? I know as a kid I did it for a summer job and never had any problems with people questioning it. But again it all comes back to us scabs. Any well to do company that pays taxes would never do that...

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

to me, there's no difference. he operates on people, i operate on lawns. btw, do you think he sharpens his own scalpels?

i think a more accurate statement is that a legitimate company is not allowed to do that.

6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

As long as the kid is doing a good job in a professional manner, whats the big fuss? If he is working with his dad, doing a good job, and not messing around, who really cares? We have all seen adult workers who act like 10 year olds sometimes, maybe a kid working with his dad will groom the kid into a very professional worker. If seeing a 12 year old mowing a lawn bothers you that much that you would can the company, you have much more serious problems than you are letting on. I started mowing my parents lawn when I was 10 and both of my grandparents as well. I turned out ok and did a fine job if I may say so myself. Now if the kid is causing a problem or using equipment not suited for him that is a different story altogether.

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

When I was 6 I started going out with my dad during the summers. Did it every year after that until I graduated High School, then started workin with him full time. Kept me outta trouble thats for sure.

Some people take this Lawn Care way to serious.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

i think a more accurate statement is that a legitimate company is not allowed to do that. [/B][/QUOTE]

My bussiness is legit, I pay taxes on all income including that which my sons receive from me. They have been running my equitment since they were five and can operate a 36in walkbehind in a proficint/ safe manner and I know of no laws I am breaking. Also my clients are thrilled to see them in their yard.

9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

well he can either mow lawns and learn a trade or he can sit and watch tv and eat potato chips all day, and one day we all will be supporting him.

10. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep thats the truth.