1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Apr 2, 2006.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago I was doing a mulch job for a one time customer in a expensive home and I had my 12 year old son helping me to earn money for a dirt bike. The lady came out and asked my son if he wanted to come in and play video games with her son while I did her job but I mentioned that he was helping me to earn money for a dirt bike. She couldnt beleive that I was making him work for what she claimed was "something that I should just buy for him" and after a minute or so of our slightly heated discussion, walked away saying something about me not being a very good father.
    Well today (several years later) I get home from a day of jeeping with my son and read in the paper where this ladys son was involved in a high speed chase with police and ended up crashing his car and had to be subdued with a tazer. Police found meth making stuff in the car as well. Im sure his mom went and bailed him rite out and woulnt be surprised if they are looking for a new car by now, after all it probably isnt his fault, he is just suffering from oppression stemming from that time he actually had to clean his own room back when their nanny had the nerve to call in sick :laugh: :laugh:
    I couldnt help enjoying the article as I read it and can at least say my son hasnt even come close to a performance of that nature. He enjoys football, hunting, jeep building (yea, he bought his own jeep with his own $$), 4 wheeling and stuff like that.
    Moral of the story - dont take advise from people with big mouthes. :nono::waving:
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

SOme people are just blind to what builds characture in a kid.They never had that kind of training and don't know how to give it to their children in turn.You were lucky your parents knew how to build it in you and so you are able to build it in your son.Not everybody has that in their parents.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Gee, the police chases don't WORK like they do in the video games, do they?
  4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

So those years ago did you get the dirt bike? I know kind of not the point in the story but just want to know.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny ...
  6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

wow.... karma works in mysterious ways.
    This is where I would cut out the newspaper article... slip it into her mailbox with my business card... :cool2: Well, not really, but it would be cool.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The work ethic in some is very easy to see! lol! BTW, do you still do work for that woman?
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

Of course, and he appreciated it & took very good care of it as well
  9. pjslawncare/landscap

Nope, it was a one time job, but I remembered her very well
  10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

dont spoil ur kids make them work there ass off.. im 21 still a kid to some but running 2 businesses grossing 300-400k and thank my parents for not giving me anything as a child ( because they where broke lol). im young and have goals and future and some of my friends are still getting allowances and wont be getting far in life..