kids doing donuts on my lawn!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 2muchwork, Aug 19, 2004.

1. 2muchwork

2muchwork LawnSite Member

:mad:
    2 nights this week I woke up to see donuts from a car were done on my lawn. I am sure its just a random act of inconsiration but now I am pis#%&. Aside from personal violation I am worried what kind of long term damage this will do. Outside of staying up late?? every night trying to catch them I have contemplated laying some 2X10's filled with nails but this would probably land me in jail. Anybody got any bait and trap ideas?

2. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

YOu can buy relatively inexpensive motion detection camera's. Hunters use them at deer stands to track the deer activity and patterns. They will time stamp the pictures. I've used two for exactly what you have described. House was on a cormer and all the yahoo's would cut the corner accross the front yard. Put two of these camera's in a couple of small tree's and presto. Next someone did it I had incontrovertable proof who and when they did it. Was an easy case for the sheriff. Don't booby trap the place or you will be in more trouble than the perps.

3. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I know exactly how you feel, we live at the entrance to our neighborhood, right off a main street, my wife's car has been egged 7 times in the past year and a half. Several months ago I went and bought a small surveillance camera ($250) about the size of my thumb and mounted it in a tree in the front yard and hooked it to a VCR in the garage. Sure enough we caught the kids on film a few weeks later, unfortunately the quality was not good enough to get the plate but I am on the lookout for a primer grey 87' to 91' Bronco.
    Some advice the police gave me was that you can ask them to do what they call a zone patrol in your area around the time these things happen, and if you can don't try to do anything to their car but get the plate number. If you catch them on foot, you can hold them there till the police get there (personally I'm going to find a way to make them suffer to pass the time while I wait, there is always some dog poo somewhere to rub their face in)
    And last of all don't do what I really wanted to do and bring your gun out of the house to threaten them or shoot at them.

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, that kind of thing is called "turfing" and it seems to be a right of passage for high school students. People set rocks across the front of their lawns to keep it from happening.

5. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

I had the same problem a few years back. Do they pass under any trees? I tied a piece of 8 pound mono fishing line to a soup can, put the can in the tree, pegged the line to the ground. Just happened to have some old yellow paint to fill the can.
    If the cops hassle you, tell them it's an art project, and it's your first amendment right. How did you know some young punks would come along and ruin it?

6. Art work, I like that.

7. Green & Clean

Green & Clean LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I had a neighbor with the same problem. I helped him drive 4 foot metal stakes 3 feet into the ground on his corner lot to "hold up" his new 99 cent Walmart plants. The next weekend, some kid got his daddys car stuck on the "plant stakes". The next morning, the kid, his daddy, the police, and a tow truck were all there to get the car unstuck. Kid gets tickets, and pays for lawn damage.

8. Jimbosc

Jimbosc LawnSite Member

We had a problem with trash cans being smashed by kids in cars several years back and my uncle got hit a few times.

My uncle sank solid steel poles in concrete and then placed his trash cans over the poles with holes in the bottom. (Trash has to be on the curb.)

A kid hit those poles and totalled out his car - fortunately not being hurt. The police did not do anything to my uncle but they did suggest he remove the poles.

I have not heard of any problems in town with kids running in trash cans since then - he was not the only homeowner to use this solution.

I like the camera with motion detector idea alot better.

Jim

9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

concrete building blocks the 8x16 ones used on foundations.. They will completlely demolish the undercarriage of a car..

10. VWBOBD

VWBOBD LawnSite Member

Take A 2x4 Drive 16d Nails Through It And Bury It So The Nails Are Sticking Up......no Air In Tires....no Donuts.....no Returning A$$holes