Kids play area renovation ....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BUCKEYE MOWING, May 2, 2007.

1. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a client that has a 20 x 35 sand play area with a giant swing set sitting in the middle ....It has become weed infested and the sand is nasty to say the least....Do I pull the weeds and add sand ??? pull the weeds and level the sand and cover with playground mulch ??? I am looking for any and all ideas....as bad a job as it appears to be...It looks like a gold mine in labor.

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

do you have any pictures?

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

Sorry no pics right now...

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUMP.....come on boys I need some ideas........

5. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Buckeye, I have had to do this a few times. It is a PITA sometimes. I usually tell the customer that the children can't be in the play area untill I have finished, and mark the area off with caution tape. Spray with roundup on a sunny day, come back the next day and begin the job. Rake all dead weeds out, level sand. I use heavy landscape fabric to keep the sand and mulch seperate. Use playground mulch at least 5" thick. That is what I do if it is residential and really doesnt have to follow a strict municipal playground code....Hope it helps a little....I havent had to do many, but I figured anything could help.

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

Thanks Fairway !!! Any thoughts on the use of the shredded rubber ?