Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by BFLL, Aug 8, 2006.

1. BFLL

BFLL LawnSite Member

Is there any body on this site that isn't a Kid?? No offense to you kids, but I don't pay much attention to kids when it come to years of experience.
    Kids have a habit of bragging to much, (example): one guy got 40 account over night, goes to school full time, owns thousands of dollars of equipment, drive a truck, and hes 14.

Give me a break! You have to be in business for years to be a Pro. and then you may not know what your doing.

I just want to know who has been in business for years, not mintues.
  2. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im a kid and ive been in buisness for over 3 years! and I go to school for landscaping.
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

what was that sonny? speak up, i can't hear you. wait, wait. you young'uns are so impatient. let me get my hearing aid. now, that's better. what were you saying?:laugh:

it's a public forum. take the good with the bad.
  4. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to agree with you on that and I can understand where you're coming from. I am 14 and would have to say that I have surely done too much of what a lot of younger guys do on here, not bs'ing but you know- immature conversation and advice that in the end wouldn't help a lick thinking that I had a clue what I was talking about, and that sort of thing. But yes, Lawnsite is a great place filled with guys that have been in the biz longer than the bs-er's have even been alive. Many of the guys that have done this day in and day out for quite some time are here, on lawnsite, and can give you a very respectable answer to just about any question. But after a while a bs-er will dig themselves a hole and people will know to ignore 99% of what they say. You can tell what guys on here are respected and that goes a long way.:usflag:
  5. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

how old would one have to be not to be considered a kid?
    i'm 22 been in the business since i was 16 working for someone else
    started my company going on 3 years now, i still learn new things everyday though

i don't know about the 14yr olds that are bigger that brickman either but whatever makes em feel better
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a 51 year old "kid" :laugh:
  7. BFLL

BFLL LawnSite Member

I don't mind listening to kids, But if I need advice on somethings, I don't want to hear a bunch of BS from guys who know nothing about it.
    NMEZ21 seems to have his head on stright, To be only 14 Im impressed.
  8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

you gave me a good chuckle since I'm 51 and still feel like a kid some days.
    Other days I feel a durn sight older than my real age:laugh: I'd say 99.9% of our young people are good folks and well on their way to making the world a good place when we're all gone. I love their enthusiasm and creativity even if they don't have the experience we've all gained just from being around.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I want to be a weather man when I grow up!
    Good money no consequences!

I guess I'll have to wait a few more years.............
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's an Internet thing, you gotta weed out stuff that won't work for you and yes there may be lots of it, that's just the way it is...

Because one thing is too, what works for one Lco may or may not work for another, that much I've learned... There are many things discussed here, some at considerable length and with great enthusiasm that I myself wouldn't even dream of doing... But overall I find LS the greatest resource in this business, it has literally doubled my experience in just a year, that's what I think (translation: it takes time).

Yeah, you just gotta read and search, searching helps... I also find myself drawn to specific sections of the forum (5 of them, GGID and JSIB, CommMowing, BizMgm't and Websites), the rest I hardly touch thou I do scan them once in a bit, for the most part they just don't apply to me and why get involved where I don't belong (oh yeah, trucks / Mechrepairs is a good one to ask questions too, such as when you're stumped).

I'm 40 and this is my 5th year since I've drawn a regular paycheck, but still what works for me may or may not work for you, so you still gotta weed through my spam lol. Some kids here got their heads on straight, some adults here don't, ahhh yessss, fun fun fun.