Kill Bermuda and re-seed????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wojo23323, Aug 16, 2002.

1. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I am located in Southeastern Va. and I got a call from a potential customer in the neighborhood today. Another LCO seeded his yard with bermuda 2 weeks ago. The lot is about 12k and it is new construction, so there was no grass, but quite a bit of weeds. The LCO killed all weeds, aerated, seeded and applied starter fert. LCO reccomended to wait till fall to seed with tall fescue but customer wanted grass NOW! The problem now is there is alot of crabgrass and dallisgrass coming up and the bermuda is coming in slow. I told the customer that the weeds could be spot treated, the bermuda would fill in eventually if fertilized properly and I also told him that I would have never planted bermuda. I explained on how invasive to the flower beds this grass is and that 99% of the people here treat bermuda as a weed. His current LCO did not explain this to him. After our talk he now regrets seeding with bermuda. He asked if I could kill the bermuda and re-seed with tall fescue or install sod. My opinion is that I don't think all the bermuda would die off and there are still fresh bermuda seeds down that could possibly germinate. My opinion is the bermuda would come back if I seeded or sodded. I told customer to spot treat for weeds and see how it turns out and overseed with rye in the fall to keep yard green thru winter. Does anyone have any opinions on this.

2. Sod might burry the seed to deep and keep it from germinating and eventually rot.

Regrade lightly then sod then fert.

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I would round-up the lawn, then apply a good pre-emergent to cover any bermuda seeds yet to germinate. Then sod away!!!
    By the way, there are many varieties of bermuda that aren't very aggressive. Common bermuda is something I wouldn't recommend to anywhere other than a pasture or such. The hybrids are something else. I couldn't speak for the availabilty in your area, but something you could check. Good luck.

4. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

NC State recommends three apps of Round Up up over a three week period to completely kill Bermuda prior to seeding.

However, since this is not a well established stand you may not need all three apps.

5. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I have never done this but I would be concerned about the preemergent hindering the root development of the new sod.

6. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I have seen a combination of bermuda and zoyia grass in sod. In the later part of the spring the bermuda was dominate but later in the year the zoia took over and now you see almost no bermuda. I would consider sodding with zoyia and keep it cut high until it takes over. I'm not a expert on the subject, but this I did observe.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This is true, one app of Roundup will not get all the bermuda. You need to spray it more than once. Although, being new seedlings they will not have much strenght yet.

8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Fusilade is a product that would be good to familiarize yourself with. It's designed to kill only bermuda.

9. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

i would still apply all three coats of round up......just to make sure it is dead........

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

One application of Round-Up will kill the bermuda. This lawn was killed with 4oz per gallon.

picture 000006 2.jpg