1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kill bermuda in fescue? Possible?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by toxic man, Nov 4, 2004.

1. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Is it possible to post emerge bermuda grass in Fescue? I have some friends who put me up to the question, any suggestions?

Weed Solutions
  2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Yes -- there are a few important ways. There is ornamec--- made by pbi gordon -- good product. Also, a way that has worked well for me is late season fertilization and watering -- it keeps the bermuda from going doramnt and lets the fescue win. Used togeterh -- you can usually eradicate it in two seasons. it will take constant maintenence to keep it out though.
  3. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Interesting Reply Hamons, I will give that a try.

Toxic Man,

I have played with Turflon, and Acclaim Extra. Do a google search on these chemicals along with Bermuda grass and you should find some university papers about this. I have used Both chemicals at Max strength on Tall fescue in drought stress, with very little phytotoxicity. It needs to be applied every 28 days for 4-5 months a year for two years. Now the down side, and that is cost, which runs about $6/1000sq-ft chemical cost, long before you add labour, profit, other expenses etc. Now you can still get good control at a reduce rate, but I have not had time to try that this year.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Please read the label, it is the best friend you can have.

Best Regards

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as the Bermuda is actively growing, you can apply Fusilade to remove it. It might take a couple of applications.

I'm very certain that Fusilade will not be harmful to your Fescue.
  5. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

TurfUnlimited is correct, that is another indicated suppressant. I did not explain this in my previous post, but these chemicals are suppressants to Bermuda grass, and only common, not hybrid. As they suppress the Bermuda grass you need to apply for two years to get control. Sometimes the cost is not worth the effort. A kill down in mid summer with a good re-seeding in September might be more cost effective.

Best Regards

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you ever get frost in Ontario?

Somehow I would doubt it, but you could fertilize the turf with quick release N just before a cold snap. This could actually injure the Bermuda to some degree, which for you would be a good thing.
  7. SystemXpert

SystemXpert LawnSite Member

This might sound silly, but you could just ignore it and follow a good fescue program. I have the same problem in my own yard. However, I have been slowly taking back my turf and its becoming more and more fescue. If you think about it a cool season program is great for fescue, but not so good for bermuda.

Aerate & overseed with fescue seed in sept. - I also do a good raking and actually remove some of the browing bermuda surface growth.

Fertilize in the Fall and Early winter. Fescue loves it, Bermuda hates it.

Use pre-ems in early spring. Stops weeds and shocks bermuda just when its getting ready to grow.

Don't fertilize in the summer. Bermuda is being starved, Fescue is being preserved. Use iron for color.

Repeat next season.

By building up a fescue lawn bermuda is kept under control. Also mowing high helps. If your lawn is being properly maintained for fescue, bermuda won't take over. However, if you don't build up a fescue lawn, the bermuda will not have competition and can take over.

8. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Those are awesome solutions. Thank you all.

There rarely are frosts in Ontario, but my business is split between Ontario and the high desert of So Cal. It does freeze up here, about 60 times a year. During those nights, it usually warms up to the 50's during the day.

9. lawndude2004

lawndude2004 LawnSite Member

i have to agree with system expert. through proper fert and pre em applications, you can virtually rid most warmseason grasses without post ems.
  10. lawndude,
    What pre em will prevent bermunda?