Killer Bees!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by steve45, Apr 11, 2006.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had an incident in our fair city yesterday where a couple of people were attacked by bees. A bee expert said that they were definitely Africanized bees.

I've heard that these bees get really upset by vibration, like from a mower. Just wondering if any of you have had any encounters with killer bees, or if you've given any thought to what you'd do if you were.

Considering how close the local attack was (2 miles), I think I'm going to do a quick walk around the yard before mowing. I may even wear long sleeves and pants while mowing.

I've always thought that if I were attacked, I'd jump in our swimming pool, but they say even that won't get them off!

Any thoughts?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

what I'd do, is park the deck right over the nest and let em have it. oh wait we're talking avoiding attacks not getting yourself deeper into the pile of s--t. walk around the property, wear long sleeves, be careful, and if you need to, carry a lighter and can of something HIGHLY flammable to ward em off with.

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I see this as a concern. The problem is the bee's may be over a 100 yrds away in the woods and not even close to your customers house and you start that blower and wap. I am trying to think of ways that I can cover the mouth, nose, eyes. Maybe have a can of lethal raid attached to each piece of equipment just as a fire extingusher.

4. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

The Raid thing could work but what a pain. Long sleeves and pants may work but you will still be stung many times through the clothing. I will ask this naturalist guy I know, he seems to know about all things to do with nature. GO figure.....

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

After thinking about it, perhaps a CO2 fire extinguisher would help. The cold will immobilize the bees. The fire extinguisher could do double duty in the event of a fire (remember the pics of the disasterous leaf cleanup?).

6. firelwn

firelwn LawnSite Member

Good call I didn't even think of that.

7. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

not too long ago a i had an incident with only one bee. usaually when a bee or wasp comes near me I dont get afraid and if it comes at me i will just knock it down with my hand and im not afraid cause I think they can sting me but i can kill him. so they usually back down cause they can sense fear and im not. but this one bee just seemed agressive and persistent like no other. I got scared and ran to my truck thinking it might african and call on the hive. since then I have been scared at the thought but not have ecountered it again at the same place. I wish you safty.