Killer Bees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Who in the southern states will quit the lawn care biz when the killer bees come to town? Saw on the news where they are spreading like crazy. Texas, California, arizona, navada. Has anyone come into contact with these demons? They said on the news tonight that they will chase you for a quarter of a mile and will sting you for up to an hour. They respond to vibrations and dont have to be touched to attack. One guy on the news was stung 250 times. Another woman was stung 500 times and died with fireman there trying to help her and they were getting stung.
    I might consider retiring if the show up in SC. They will make yellow jackets seem like horseflies(which hurt like hail too by the way

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

it reminds me of a movie i saw where the killer bees totally engulfed the house and killed most of the cast. i think if it gets that bad, people wont be worrying too much if their lawn gets cut that week or not.

3. Charles

I saw that movie lol. Just the sound of music(vibration) ticked the bees off. They say the bees have spread to 30+ more counties in texas.
    I know virbration from a mower would really piss them off.
    In LA they attacked a woman as she visited a conveinance store. They are nesting i the cities....The threart is real and they can tolerate cold weather

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I did not see the news report, but was wondering are they expected to travel to northern states also?

How do they get rid of them? Or do they just continue to multiply?

If there was no way to get rid of them or control them, and they were travelling closer and closer to our county and region, then I would seriously have to give up the business.

5. Charles

They can stand freezing temps. The males surround the queen and keep most of the hives warm. But most are following the warm climate state so far and expected to climb the east coast soon. I think they are expected to migrate to the middle of the US east to west. But they can easily be transported by truck or boat etc

6. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Is Tru-green/Chemlawn behind this?????????Maybe they are reading what we think and are pi%%ed off???? Great, what America needs another epidemic. Do you guys carry bee spray while mowing? :eek:

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I understand the killer bee as a specie discussion but we had a woman killed by yellow jackets near here yeaterday!

I don't have the link to the story yet but it has been on the news.

there is a difference in people that are allergic to the bee venom and the fact that the number of stings is what does the damage.

my impression is that this woman was stung numerous times and that caused the death.

I have also heard that honey bees are the most toxic when it comes to reactions.

GEO

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

NOT KILLER BEES BUT I KILL MANY HUNDREDS OF WASP YETERDAY THAT HAD INFESTED THE SIDING OF A HOUSE.
    this lady watches 4 small children too.just glad i noticed them.

9. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

You could alway wear a full body leather suit in the heat of summer... :) How about a new service, killer bee spraying.

I've heard scientists talk about introducing a genetically modified colony that would reproduce with them and stop them.

10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

While the threat is real, I'm more concerned about snakes! Cleaning out flower beds gives me the willies if I stop to think about it. Back to bees- somebody needs to find a smell that 'turns them off' I'd buy a bottle of it! We have lots of palm trees down here- perfect place for a nest to start and here goes me driving under neath the palm branches. Spooky thought!

Cordially,
    Sheppard