Killing bambo with salt?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jonn, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Jonn

Jonn LawnSite Member

I'm buying a home and the backyard has a ton of running bamboo. I've been researching methods. Digging it out isn't too practical as a bobcat doesn't fit too well through the side of the property.

Some people were saying salt. How long will it take to kill it with salt? Here's what I'm thinking:

Cut it down; lay some big rock salt that's used for softener around the the backyard; spray on some water. Kill the bamboo. The yard is sloping so I was going to dig a trench at the bottom of the slope and try to wash as much of the salt off and into the trench... Then dig out that soil. I would spread a little bit of topsoil on top of that and plant some zoysia grass. The only other plant in the backyard is a live oak tree which supposedly will do okay with saline water (as does the zoysia). I've got 8 months to go before I plant the zoysia.

What am I missing?

Any chemicals that would just as good/better job that I can spray?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure Im reading you right but be careful those roots from the bamboo would be holding together soil on a sloping backyard and would lead to erosion
    if taken out incorrectly

3. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I would try proscutor at the highest %, but I think you are going have a heck of time unless you dig it up.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I ran into this situation in San Antonio........regular mowing will eventually take out the bamboo. Instead of Zoysia grass, I suggest St. Augustine.

Hey - Does Willie Nelson still have his spread west of town?

Also....Whatever happened to that live oak they were trying to save a few years ago?

5. Jonn

Jonn LawnSite Member

The grade on the slope is negligible so I'm not too worried about the erosion. Also the neighbor has a fence with 18-24 inches of concrete at the bottom of the slope. The bamboo is creeping around to the front of the fence and it will soon move around it! The soil is also only about 12 inches deep at most before I hit rockbed.

AmericanLawn, why do you prefer St. Augustine?

I grew zoysia up north and loved it. How well do you think it would do under the shade of a liveoak here?

I haven't heard anything of Willie moving... Don't remember anything of the oak they were trying to save a few years ago.

6. Jonn

Jonn LawnSite Member

Oh.. also.. what do you do about the stumps if you're just mowing over them?

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

From Michigan--but--Salt probably will not do it. It would probably kill the live oak. And then you have soil contaminated with salt. Too much sodium. Then probably you could not grow zoysia. Roundup, then grass, plus mowing is my suggestion. You may want to use a blow torch on some of those stumps. Fry it--so it doesn't come back.

8. americanlawn

from midwest

Hi John -- St Augustine tolerates the heat & poor soils better than zoysia. Check your landgrant University (T A&M). Make sure to use a S.A.D. resistent cultivar. Your other alternative would be bermuda, but it has "concerns" depending on your needs. :usflag:

9. americanlawn

from midwest

The live oak was in jepardy about 8 years ago was due to somebody trying to poison it. It was growing near the Texas campus. It was estimated to be about 400 years old (same as some growing at the Alamo).

"Hippy Hollow" (nude beach) was just west of town. Ten miles further was Willie's place.

NOTE: some of the older live oaks near the Alamo still have lead bullets from the Davey Crockett days when he and others defended it from the Mexicans.

Keep in mind that live oaks in southern Texas can live well over 400 years compared to the live oaks of Florida.

10. Jonn

Jonn LawnSite Member

Ah.. I've only been here 6 years so I didn't remember the oak issue.

I'll try painting it with roundup... There's got to be 1000 culms.