Killing Banana Trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cstafford, Aug 24, 2003.

1. cstafford

cstafford LawnSite Member

Searched high and low on site but found no information.

Any information is appreciated. Please share your professional experiences with how to kill a banana tree as well as jumbo (HUGE) elephant ears. Thanks much. :confused:

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Cut them down, dig them out?

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Dynamite maybe? I have never found a way. They grow back right through topsiol and sod after being killed.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

UP here. Zone 5.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi CStafford,

This quote came from a gardening website forum so I can't say if this in fact will work. It's just another view that may help you.

"getting rid of my banana trees"

"The best way to solve your problem is to cut the trees down, then pour a 50-50% solution of Roundup directly into the stump. The roundup will follow the capillaries to the roots. This should take care of your problem."

6. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

just move em
    UP here. Zone 5.

Funniest thing I heard today.

7. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

If they are small--- 1 or 2ft, about 1/2 cup of kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid down the snout.
    For large ones cut down to about a foot, then dig out the center a little and use 1 cup of kerosene or lighter fluid.
    The kerosene works best.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive used a food injector and shot some roundup into them

9. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

If you have the time, just put a sign in front of them that says, "free, you dig". You'll be amazed at how quickly they get removed. People who have no idea what they are will stop and take them just cause they are free.

10. cstafford

cstafford LawnSite Member

Thanks all for responding.

It appears that the I have a bit of work ahead. No problem, the customer is paying and winter is approaching. I'll take what I can now.

Again thank you.