Killing Bermuda W/ Ornamec?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone here tried to use ornamec to kill Bermuda grass out of fescue?

What did you think of the results?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a core aeration slit seeding job last september. There was bermuda throughout the lawn. I USED THE RECOMMENDED RATE PER 1000/SF AND IT DID CONTROL THE BERMUDA WITH SOME YELLOWING OF THE FESCUE.
    i DID THE REST OF THE RENOVATION JOB AND IT CAME OUT REAL NICE.
    ONE THING IS YOU WILL NEED TO EMPHISE TO THE CUSTOMER THAT YOU ARE supressing the bermuda. Do not let them think you are eleminating the bermuda.
    I have been doing regular fert apps on the property this year and so far I have not seen the bermuda come back.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do it in zoysia with 1 quart Turflon Ester per acre. The turflon minimizes the damage to the zoysia and maximized bermuda injury. The idea is not to try and kill it in one shot, but to keep on damaging the bermuda over the growing season. Might take monthly applications over a 2 year time. Here, anything is cheaper than resodding a lawn.

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Fusilad III alone or mixed with Ornamec also works but remember a few drops of Fusilad go a very long way. Don't apply when soil is dry or temps are high on a sunny day. It took 3 years but I have my bermuda knocked down to a few sprigs on my fescue kbg lawn. Good luck.

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, it is actually Fusilad II not III.

6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I don't think I would mix Fusilade II and Ornamec together as they contain the exact same active ingredient (Fluazifop). Ornamec is at a much lower concentration and is geared more for non-professional use as they typically go for the "a little bit is good a whole lot is better" theory of control. Lowers their liability I suspect. Depends on whether you have access to either product and whether or not you want to pay for a lot of carrier.

7. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that fucilade II is NOT labeled for residential lawn use... could be wrong... speaking from memory..

We applied ornamec about 3 weeks ago to a lawn with bermuda strewn throughout.. and the bermuda is DEAD.. the fescue is green, and healthy.. I didn't know if this result was a fluke, or if everyone was having the same results?

8. vegomatic40

from 6

Ray...It was yanked for a short time 2-3 years ago and Sengenta pretty quickly had it re-labeled and approved for residential use. No problems.

9. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Really? I just picked up a new bottle last week & label excludes residential lawns. Maybe I got an old bottle:cry:

10. vegomatic40

from 6

Just re-read the current label and it is a bit confusing/contradictory. Says on the first page under the logo "For control of grass weeds in landscape area, roadsides,nurseries,greenhouses,flowerbeds,interiorscapes,parks,sports fields,golf courses, commercial and residential areas". Then under the header of "General Precautions" it says "For use only by commercial or licensed applicators when applications are to be made in, or around homes". Skip down to the header of "Weed control in desireable Turgrass" it states "Not for use on home lawns" WTF?! I'm not sure exactly which direction this label is going and may be open to interpetation. At any rate, I think I am in compliance (being licensed since Reagans first term) but if a state-regulatory guy wants to bust my chops on something like this he must be wanting to pick a fight LOL. At this point I'll claim blissful ignorance as this is one of my better weapons for fighting common bermuda in the transition zone, and would be mighty pissed to have to use a more costly product/acre over a silly label descrepancy.