1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Killing cold wx weeds in Memphis

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by re151731, Mar 8, 2006.

1. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

I live in Memphis Tn.I have a good stand of common bermuda which is currently dormant.With cooler temps currently (70 high 32 low)what can you folks recomend I use to kill the abundant weeds.When the daytime temps get warmer I use MSMA, however in these cooler temps that will not work. I prefer to use a liquid weed killer with my spray cart.Thx for any suggestions.
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

2,4-D.Use the Esther in colder weather and the Amine in warmer weather(such as temps in the 70's)
  3. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

As long as your bermuda is dormant you can also use Roundup, but it will need some warm daytime temps. to work.
  4. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

What type of weeds are the problem. The bermuda is starting to green up on the edges already so be careful with the Round-up. If the problem is poa anna, products are avaliable to control it without damage to the desired turf. Also the 2-4d can damage the turf if its applied to heavly. If spot treated you could have bare areas or areas slow to green up. Ive been there done that.