Killing crabgrass/dallisgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Craig Turf Management, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anything out there that I can spray to kill crabgrass and dallisgrass without having to reapply. I'm using MSMA for these weeds, and it's pretty expensive for my clients if I have to come back out in two weeks and spray again. I heard DRIVE is good for the crabgrass. Is drive labeled for dallisgrass?

2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I used TrimecPlus on Crabgrass a few years ago where we had problems for years with it coming up even after two apps of pre-em. I used the TrimecPlus just as a spot spray on large plants that had popped up in the heat of the summer. The TrimecPlus got them in just one shot. But, the few I missed, I sprayed the next week with just alittle too much heat and humidity too soon later that morning and it killed the grass as well, good thing I only spot sprayed!

I also sprayed a newer account that same year that had a area that was almost nothing but Crabgrass. When I was asked to treat them, they were HUGE plants. One spray was all it took though for a complete kill.

Now, I beleive those seeds will lay in the soil for some time, I once read something about 30 years. So, what I do now is I use no pre-em in the Spring and I treat those few areas where we had Crabgrass later in the late Spring to early Summer with the TrimecPlus. I have not had Crabgrass or Yellow Nut Sedge in those areas show up since. This year, I plan to skip the app and see what happens. Whatever pops up I will just spot spray.

3. peteloare

peteloare LawnSite Member

Glad to see there is another person out there that believes in spotting. it is so much more honist to the customer than hitting them with that pre-mergent treatment.

4. Craig Turf Management

peteloare
    I wish that you would explain to me what is so dishonest about selling my clients pre-m treatments.Thanks in advance for your response. Bill Craig

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,

My 02. on that is that if they do not have a crabgrass problem, why do they need pre-em's? I use to be the guy that was paying for those pre-em apps before I got my license, so I believed what I was told until I began to do it myself. I had accounts that had crabgrass problems where two apps of pre-em's did nothing to control the crabgrass problem until I myself killed the crabgrass.

I do not think it is actually dishonest, and I of course would not mean to imply that you are dishonest, but it is just a different way of looking at it. Many would feel that even though the cost is low, it is a good insurance program to just have it in the app. Another might see it as why put more chemicals into our ground if there is no reason to do so.

All just another way to skin that cat.

6. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I wish the only weed I dealt with was crabgrass, unfortunately I deal with many weeds and would be stupid not to use pre-emergent weed control. That at least stops three-quarters of new weed germination, and I spot the rest. Anyone who doesn't believe that pre-M's work, well 'nough said.

7. Bret Austin

Bret Austin LawnSite Member

how do you guys find the time to do service calls and spot spraying?
    i have a hard enough time just getting my regular spraying rounds done in time. i put down pre-m, trimec or triplet and fertilizer all at once. i don't want to come back if i don't have to.

what do you guys think about this?

8. Craig Turf Management

Skookum,
    I appreciate your view on the pre-m apps. I hate to apply one ounce more chemical than absolutely needed to control weeds etc. Where I live, crabgrass and dallisgrass grow rampant if not watched closely. Crabgrass is especially bad at the curb near the street. The heat from the pavement keeps that edge of the lawn so hot that fescue has a tough time surviving the summer without plenty of irrigation. Crabgrass on the other hand loves and thrives in that environment. I've also noticed that any lawn that has the soil disturbed, installing irrigation, planting beds, etc. the crabgrass is worse near the excavated area. I have found that I have less spraying to do if I apply preemergence. May be the difference in our climate.

Bret,
    I have just made the decision to stop offering fert. programs and weed control programs to anyone other than my full service lawn clients. That way I get to evaluate the property for weeds, etc every week when I show up to mow. I have one day per month that I dedicate to spraying weeds. If I notice a problem with the lawn while I'm there to mow, I can spot spray with a backpack sprayer. I hope this helps.
    Bill Craig

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Bill- you have to be aware that most guys spraying out there are only stopping 5-6 times at properties a year, and most, i say most of thier properties look very good. a proper 5-6 step weed control program, timed efecctively, will eliminate and prevent 99.5% of the weeds in turf. we do full maint. as well, and the mowing guys shouldn't have to pull out a backpack unless it is a very picky customer, ( zero tolerance) or a new program customer on thier 2nd or third round. Crabgrass and most other weeds can be prevented using barricade at the 1.3 lbs per acre rate 2x per year, early spring and early fall. I know a guy that ONLY does 3 step programs, puts out this rate of barricade w/ tri-mec plus, and uses ALOT of slow release fert each time and his lawns are very clean and green after one year. and he charges nearly 1.5 cents a foot per ap! my fear is missing disease and insect problems at those kind of intervals. Dave:blob3:

10. wd

wd LawnSite Member

Dimension made by Monsanto may be what you need Craig. It is a pre and post-emergent for control of crabgrass and other grassy weeds. We split apps of pre-emergence in the spring using Pre-M 3.3EC (early)and Dimension (late). MSMA can be a real pain if temperatures are above 85 and many times leaves customers upset. In NE Oklahoma pre-emrgence applications are a must because of the variety of weeds (both grassy & broadleaf).