1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Killing Dollar Weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ron, Mar 22, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best method in killing dollar weed

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Ron,
    Iam probably not the most knowledge on this but I read a small article on them and dandelions & it said that pulling was only a temp. fix as there roots can go several feet in ground....That article was promoting a Scotts broadleaf herbicide so maybe try a Scotts herbicide. ?!?!?!?!?!

Sorry couldnt help more.

3. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

Dollar Weed...............aaaaahhhhhhh

I'm sure there are new products out to control this; however, I mix liquid Atrazine (following the directions on the label of course) in my backback sprayer w/ a fan spray nozzle. It usually requires 2 to 3 applications 10 or so days apart. Ideally you want the application to adhere to the weed so do not irrigate the treated area for a minimum of 24-48hrs. Results usually appear as the weed turns yellow after the 1st or 2nd application. I will often spray the 3rd X just to finish it off. Spray it now before the outside temp. gets too hot. Relatively easy to control contrary to the belief. Hope this solves your headache.

John

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The best way to control dollar weed is to reduce the water applied to the area. Over irrigation is the main cause of dollar weed. Cut the water back and it will be more effective than any weed control.