killing grass in a ditch

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RedWolf, Oct 21, 2005.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys.I have a contract to spray the ditches to kill the grass in them.What would you guys use to get the job done.The ditches are dry and I mowed them with my boom mower.The city whats the grass dead.Any help in this matter would be great.thanks for your time.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats easy , use glyfosate 41% , mix 2 ounces per gal into a back pack and go for it .
    Read the label first , that's very important

3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Thanks.I have to start monday and what blows my mind is i heard after i spray they are going to dig them out.It doesnt make any sence to me.How well does it work.

4. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

That really doesn't make much sense. Glyphosate is a contact herbicide, i.e. no residual. By digging everything up they are probably going to expose a whole new crop of seeds to conditions that may induce germination. If it's a waterway then you really can't apply a ground sterilizer like Sahara or my favourite Spike. Do these ditches empty into a fresh water stream or lake or perhaps the ocean?

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Where to these ditches feed into????? you have to have a certain cert. here to spray right of way area's, are you licensed and insured???? "Just spray it with roundup" WOW;)

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I would classifiy Glyphosate as a Localized Systemic....maybe I'm splitting hairs with you Garth...I know what your implying but many might confuse a Contact vs Systemic mode of action with your post....not picking just offering additional info

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

being it's ditch, i would assume that water will flow time to time through there. i would play it safe and use a mixture of REWARD and RODEO + non-ionic surfactant for the job. they are both very effective (with this mix you will have burn down in 24hrs if mixed right) and if their is ever any question (EPA, etc) of runnoff, you are 100% covered. both are aquatic herbicides. if you can't spend the $150 gal for the reward, you can just use the rodeo (same as round-up, just no surfactant) + non-ionic surfactant for about $175 2.5gal. beat the tree huggers to the punch.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if the chem places are doing their job, they won't sell an aquatic herbicide to someone who's not aquatic certified.....

Still doesn't make sence if they are going to dig it up though. waste of city money.... but their waste is your gain...

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

BINGO! Reward or Rodeo are designed especially for this application. Round-up is not.

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member