Killing gum trees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArTurf, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I am on a mission to thin out the gum trees on my land and admit I know little about tree control. How would you go about this? These are smaller trees. Last fall I experimented with skinning the bark with a machete and applying gly which was successful but a slow process since I have hundreds. I've just read on basal bark application where you soak the bottom 15" of bark which would go much faster. It seems triclopyr is the commonly used chem. From what I'm told fall is the best time to do this since trees are taking in carbs for winter. Any tips on basal bark apps appreciated, at what concentration would you use the triclopyr?

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

3. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

4. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Dynamite is ceap

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Stump treatment's will take those sweet gum's out the first time. A 50/50 mix of 41% roundup concentrate and motor oil to hold the herbicide in place will do the job. No dye is needed, you can easily tell what stump's you have painted. The key is to paint the herbicide on the freshly cut stump immediately, there is no wiggle room on this. Read section 8.1 of the roundup pro label -

http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/...labels/6840-01-108-9578_label_roundup_pro.pdf

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Why motor oil and RoundUp? Unless Monsanto came out with a new ester based glyphosate. I would love to have glyphosate ester rather than the water based salt formulations with their inconsistent penetration into weeds. If doing that, might as well go really cheap and get some Crossbow. That is ester 2,4-D and triclopyr labeled for killing trees in non crop areas . Other way is with either Pronone or Spike 20P. Both of those products are to be applied to the soil around the unwanted tree. Spike is really good for clearing out thickets. Just walk in there with a granule spreader, walk out and wait for it to rain.

7. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

What do you guys like to use for the carrier for basal bark apps, how about diesel fuel?

8. greendoctor

Diesel is good, biodiesel is even better. Biodiesel is MSO without the emulsifiers.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Tordon anyone?

10. greendoctor

Tordon RTU. Good stuff. Works on most unwanted trees.