1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Killing lawn with roundup then reseeding - - what about all the dead weeds?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Tyler7692, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

If I spray the entire lawn with roundup and wait the recommended time before reseeding, what am I to do with all the dead weeds and grass in the lawn? Just slice seed right over them?

I understand if its really thick with thatch to dethatch first, but its pretty thin.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

how big is the yard?
  3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't you just scalp it after they died?
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Mexico is right. Kill it. Scalp it low. Sock-on starter fert. Slit seed. And water water water.
  5. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

We have gone this route many times.

Leave the weeds, what is left of their roots help hold the soil in place until the new grass roots take over.

If you chew the lawn up well enough, whether slice seeding or aerating, the weeds will not be a problem. We don't even bother to scalp it and have had great results.

Once the existing lawn is dead you can seed immediately. We typically spray generic roundup, wait 10 days, spot spray any remaining plants and begin aeration almost immediately, sometimes the same day.