killing "morning glory"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mdmowerman, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

one of my customers has had a constant problem w. this viney weed. he calls it morning glory, not 100% if thats teh exact name. its around the house, and is growing like crazy under the deck, which gets very little sun. I sprayed it w. round up (under teh deck) around mid october and that seemed to work, for a week. what can i do to kill this weed.

under the deck i am planning on putting down 3/4 inch decorative stone, id like to be able to put down a chemical to kill it.

if there is anything to kill it, what process should i go through to get this area to bare dirt, or as close as possible? hit it w. the string timmer and then hopefully throw down whatever someone recomends.

there is a lesco dealer near me. no i dont have a license, and i dont want to start a mess w. that.

any input would be great, thanks!
  2. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

3. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Have your customer buy a brush-killer with 2,4-d in it and spray it. Or do it as a favor for a friend. Or have a licensed applicator do it for you. Don't be the one to put money out of your own pocket for this, though, and don't charge for it.
  4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

well, I don't think you will get anybody to recommend a chemical to put down when you openly admit that you are not licensed and no intention to do so. That makes us guilty by association.

You could learn more about that plant be searching the internet. This may clue you in on cultural controls rather than chemical for you case. I beleive the other name for it is bindweed.
  5. urbanlandscape

urbanlandscape LawnSite Member

I am not a pesticide applicator, but I do garden maintenance. I believe this weed is called bindweed. It does look exactly like a mini-morning glory. The roots are very brittle and break off easily. I found in an obscure, out-of-print Rodale book that vinegar works great on bindweed. I have had a few people try it and it works better than Roundup. And that was with regular white vinegar, not even horticultural grade vinegar. We have tried smothering with mulch, hand-pulling, and burning with our mini-torch and vinegar has gotten the most results. In Michigan, I can't use anything that is supposed to be a pesticide, even vinegar, so I have my clients do it. Good luck. It's one of the worst.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Judging by your zipcode you are in Maryland, I dont think morning glories are actively growing right now. Could it be Hunneysuckle?
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Emily, why don't you get a pest. app license? If you know your stuff, which it appears you do, then you'd have no trouble passing. I couldn't imagine doing landscape mgmt. without at least using R-up.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

If it is what folks in my area refer to as "morning glory", then it is "Field Bindweed". And it is a brute. They do a lot of their growth/development through rhizomes (underground stems that grow out horizontally). If the plant is well established, you are in trouble. Here in Utah, FBW rhizomes have been recorded as deep as 12 feet and can run horizontally infinitely far. That's why Round-Up didn't do the trick. The plant is likely faaaaaarrrr too big to kill with one isolated treatment. It has too many roots, too many feeders, and too much development elsewhere to just up-and-die because one small section of it was attacked.

If you were licensed, you might consider this:

FBW requires consistent, repeated application. You might consider a soil sterilant - although because the plant runs rhizomes, it can acquire the needed nutrients from somewhere other than under the deck.

One thing that DOES help, however, is to go after the roots - rather than just using glyphosate. Try a straight salt-of-dicamba product like Banvel to help knock out the infrastructure.

Good luck!
  9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

:blob2: What whoop said. Wild morning glory, FBW, is just like getting rid of quackgrass, yellow nutsedge, and star of bethlehem in a bed. Repeated applications will eventually get control. But it will always need to be watched. I have completely eliminated quackgrass in a new landscape, only to see some pop up 3 years I thought after it was gone.

FBW, quack, and YN are often present in new landscapes where plants were brought in from a dirty nursery. The rhizomes are mixed in with roots of the new plants, so regular careful directed spraying is the chore for at least two years.
  10. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Around here we have to deal with Morning Glory/Bindweed constantly...Ipomea spp. is the latin, and it also goes by the name of Sweet Potato Vine. ( no relation to the regular potato vine, Solanum)

Alot of guys do about three or four apps with round up.

Personally, I am chemical free and have had great success with removing all the above ground portions of the plant and then weakening the root system weekly by culling the ground. Takes about two months for eradication.

Also try thick cardboard, like fridge boxes applied over the entire area, and cover with thick layer of mulch. Leave for about two months. Works great!

But if you don't have your app license, you should call someone who does.