1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Killing off a 10,000sqft lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a call from a guy that wants to kill off his lot.... :hammerhead:

Anyhow. Basically, he owns this lot that he really doesn't have the time or money to take care of. Keeps letting it get overgrown and getting notices from the city, so, he wants it cut down, then some sort of one time service that will kill off the lot.

Anyone ever done this before?
  2. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

If you "Kill" off the lot, what are you going to do about erosion?
  3. MowHouston

Thats his problem, not mine.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Time for some serious CHEMICALS !!! LOL...it's the only way and even then you will have regrowth at some point.
  5. MowHouston

Yeah. I think he wants the most long term solution as possible. I'm reading stuff online about spreading salt... Wonder if that works.
  6. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

thats kind of a lousy response

you should try to sell him on some kind of low ground cover or its going to be a dusty dirty lot and soon filled with high weeds that will need to be addresssed i wouldn't want to be associated with that....

even if the money was right and its what he wanted...

old pool liners kill grass in a hurry.... tarps work after a while

i would think a chem company could spray the whole lot

like i said hes going to get ticketed for high weeds unless you astroturf it...
  7. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

I don't kiow if you know what "Sahara" is. Combine it with some glyphosate (round up), make sure it won't leach anywhere, and you'll be doig some killin' and it won't come back for up to nine months. Lesco sells Sahara in 4lb containers, it'll cost you about $35-40+glyphosate$ to kill 3000 sq ft.
  8. MowHouston

It isn't a lousy response. I talked to him, told him that I could service it through the year. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money on the lot. Said he travels a lot and doesn't have time to tend to the place either.

He's already got notices for the lot. I'm just looking to see if there -is- a solution that he is looking for. I told him I had no idea if there was a solution to kill off the lot and that I would give him a call by tomorrow and let him know what I found out.

After I get some credible information, then I can run it past him and say, "Hey, you can do this, but your property is going to go to crap" or "There is no long term solution to this and you're better off having someone maintain it so you dont ruin your property value by putting salt, bleach, hepatitis c, or whatever might kill off the grass"

Just looking for the advice from someone that has had this request or might know of a solution.
  9. MowHouston

Does it cause the grass to just dry up or will the lot turn to dirt etc? After this combo does its work, will other plants have the chance to grow in like weeds or does it keep the soil "contaminated" enough to keep anything from growing?

EDIT: Also, is a license required to apply it?
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

try to talk him into using a growth regulator to slow the growth of the lawn down to a crawl and then see if you can get him to pay you to mow it once a month.