Killing Off Bermuda Grass ???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SLC LLC, Nov 12, 2008.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that has an enitre yard full of bermuda grass, and they cannot stand it. Is there anyway to successfully get rid of bermuda grass and eventually plant fescue in the lawn instead?

2. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

You will probably have to apply several applications of Round-Up or equivalent weed killer. I have a neighbor that lives across the street that has done this. He wants to have a Zoysia lawn.

3. SLC  LLC

I have heard that in order to completely get rid of Bermuda you have to take at least 10-12" of dirt off of the property. Is there any truth to this?

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

No truth whatsoever. Two applications of roundup thru August followed by a good seed program in the fall will yield excellent results. I've done it with 1 roundup; but, did have to ester out a fair amount of common bermuda in early summer... It was manageable, though. I have some pics of the results. I'll post them if I can locate them.

5. SLC  LLC

You have to hit it during growing season then correct? Also, would you need to go back through and till the entire yard before repalnting?

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Yes, it has to be hit during growing season. I think August is the best month to begin spraying out hot season grasses if you are going cool season. You'll still be able to get a good kill... and the weeds won't have time to take over before seeding. Tilling... I'd say no. Two applications of Roundup work fine.
    One thing you could do now is go ahead and seed with a cheap tall fescue... and maintain the height of cut as high as possible(4.5 to 5") until next August. This will naturally choke out a fair amount of bermuda next year. Then, after the august kill, seed with a quality fescue blend.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Round-up will not kill bermuda, even with two applications. What you did was suppress it. It will return within a year or two.

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Uh. Are you getting your info from something you read??? Or something you did? I have many years of PRACTICAL experience with this. I know that with a summer roundup app, seeding, and proper fescue fert and treatment, including a good height of cut, that this WILL get rid of hotseason undesirables.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I kinda agree with Llush guy I believe it will come back....I know it certainly will in our area. Yards don't even have to be sodded or seeded to get a nice bermuda lawn . Maybe other areas are different. Kinda nuts getting rid of bermuda and then going to some type of grass that won't take high temperatures.

10. ding ding, give the man a cigar for the right answer, learn to live with it.