1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

killing off heavy cattails and weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Jul 1, 2007.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

What would you all suggest i use on killing off approx 8000 sq ft of heavy weeds and cattails. they want to keep these areas clean then i can keep the misquotoes down. yes we are licensed.......................
  2. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Reward or Rodeo will do the job and keep your but out of trouble they are labbled for aquatics.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Anyway I was going to say I use WEED PLEX PRO, and it works really well.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rodeo is just Roundup without the surfactants. It is 25% stronger or has 25% more AI. But cat tails can be hard to kill with straight Rodeo. There is an excellent Aquatic Surfactant called DLZ for Droplet Landing Zone that costs more per gallon than the Rodeo. But it makes the Rodeo kill cattails with the first treatment. BTW Aqua Star or Aqua Master are a genetic Rodeo at lesser cost.

PS 2,4-D also comes as a Aquatic.
  5. kmiller23

kmiller23 LawnSite Member

Cattails are a perrenial with a rhizome. Spraying anytime may kill the foliage, but not the plant. The greatest success comes in spraying glyphosate in the fall after the plant has flowered and as the plant begins to strengthen its root system for overwintering. Dependant upon where you are at in Michigan, that preferred time for spraying may be in September. Use an aquatic labeled glyphosate, add surfactant, spray in the fall and you'll have good results.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

best way I have found to get rid of cattails is to use an excavator and scrape off the top couple inches of soil.
  7. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

You may wish to visit www.lakelawnandpond.com for great information on controlling cattails and other aquatic weeds. There are several FAQ's that may help you get the best control.
  8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

don't use reward/weed plex thinking it is going to kill catails.. it will burn them down fast, but will only control them for the the most part (yes there are exceptions) i use rodeo with great sucsess, and i use pentabark as a surfactant. reward is best used to control subsurface plants, that rodeo cant control due to them being under water.
  9. Water Boyz

Water Boyz LawnSite Member
    from MN

Cattail Removal tools: Weed Razer, AVG and Lake Mower

We offer 3 tools that can handle cattails. (listed in order of effectiveness)
    They are:

The AVG: VIDEO

The Lake Mower: Website
    The Weed Razer Website

All available at www.WeedersDigest.com
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Water Boy

Stihl used to make a pole hedge trimmer that has a cutting head at a 45% fixed angle. While I find that model to be hard to trim hedges with, it is perfect for pond weed cutting. It does require cleaning and oiling after use.