killing staghorns

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kcapxis, Oct 20, 2006.

1. kcapxis

kcapxis LawnSite Member
    from NE Pa

Just cut down 50 + staghorns, ( shoemack ) and I am looking for something to treat the stumps to stop them from growing back, not sure what it is called, or where it get some?? Thanks !!

2. kcapxis

kcapxis LawnSite Member
    from NE Pa

HELP HELP HELP Bump;'.,//

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I tried to google this when you posted it originally and came up with nothing... Are you positive on the plant and the spelling? You sure that shoemack isn't SUMAC. I guess I did find ONE picture of "staghorn" just now and it looks definately like Sumac.

Tordon should take care of them, but you may want to recut the stumps since it's been this long now (just take a bit off the top to make a fresh cut)

4. kcapxis

kcapxis LawnSite Member
    from NE Pa

Thanks!! my spelling was wrong, Sumack, the staghorn name must be a local thing here in Pa. could you give me a little info on Tordon? Where is it sold?? Thanks Karl

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The Tordon RTU (ready to use) is usually sold in white bottles, about 1 quart size, and is applied straight out of the bottle onto the fresh cut stumps. As for it's availibility in your area I don't know. I *think* it may restricted use in some states. Here I can buy it at the local farm supply store right off the shelf.

I looked at the label and Sumac is actually not on the lable as a tree controled but honestly I don't see why it wouldn't work. I used it on mulberry tree stumps (also not on the label) and got 100% control, and mulberry, next to elm, is one of the hardest to keep from regrowing I know of.

It's main ingredient is plain old 2-4D. But the "active ingredient" is picloram. Honestly you could have just as good of luck using some weed killer concentrate you have around and just painting it on full strength. Obviously you don't want to apply either directly to the soil due to the concentrations.

6. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

Round up has a product called stump killer you can get at farm supply stores and also Home Depot, Lowes etc.... Be careful with labeling if it isn't labeled for it and someone calls you on it you could get into trouble. (Doesn't't happen very often but you should always follow the label)

7. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Pour a little kerosine on each one. They won't grow back.