1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Killing the poor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Aug 3, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I left a huge argument in a low income apt complex on Monday, which i almost got cought in. I got so scared I think I'm gonna drop this account. Two men were arguing about some money and 20 or so neighbors were standing around. The guy said he was gonna kill the other if he didn't pay up and pulled a gun on him. I just packed up my equipment and told my crew that we had to get outta there. I don't want any trouble or to be involved in any. I did call the police as I left the place (we never finished). I am so scared, I don't think I wanna service this area anymore.
    BTW this is the same area that I am always posting on here, about all the things I have run into.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I've read some of your other posts..here's a good reason not to go back. Glad you guys were OK, and left before the bumfights broke out...lol..Now, get paid, and don't look back.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

what area is that in? You do seem to have your share of troubles.
  4. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a chance to bid on an account that is similar to that, but the 1k per cut is keeping me interested.

Local guys that did it before, took the mowers off, came back and nothing was there
  5. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Wow... that is some scary stuff.

$10,000 more a year isn't worth your life. I'd say you're making a good choice.
  6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Man, when did Clearwater get bad areas? I've been on this coast too long apparently. :p
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If the management gives you any grief about the cancellation, explain that you value your company, its reputation, its employees and their safety too much to risk on their cruddy account :rolleyes: Besides, your insurance isn't prepared for such a situation and you don't know any good attorneys LOL...

"Drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot...."
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I didnt know you guys listened to such music. LOL...

but back to the topic. Depending on if you need the job or not, then dont do it. But if it brings in alot of money each year, I would maybe just get an extra helper (along with your crew), or send two crews, to go with you to get in and out even faster.
  9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Maybe i don't see what the big deal is, but we're adults, you obviously weren't involved in the fight and if theres twenty people around he isn't going to be like "hey you with the lawnmower i'm gonna kill you cuz homeboy over here owes me twenty bucks." you were right in leaving but i think i'd still cut grass there.
  10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I've seen it more than once where a LCO was robbed at gunpoint while on the job. I wouldn't bother with this account anymore.