killing trees with chemicals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ARLawnCare#1, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ARLawnCare#1

ARLawnCare#1 LawnSite Member
    from AR

I have 6-8 large(6-8"cal) trees in front of my billboard. I am needing to kill them. I don't want to go to the hassle of cutting them down because of the location. What I need is a chemical, preferably granular, to apply so that the trees will die ASAP!!! Please help me! Thanks!

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Girdle them. Pesticide free.

3. ARLawnCare#1

from AR

I am not familiar with that term. Does that mean to "ring" or cut bark all the way around at bottom? Will that work on trees this big? Thanks!

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Yes, girdleing the trees means just that.
    Cutting around the tree deep enough to ruin the cambium layer.
    That will kill the trees over time.

THEN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SAFELY REMOVE THESE BIG DEAD TREES?

I think it would be wiser to hire a professional to do the job right.

5. ARLawnCare#1

from AR

i need a fast kill. As for removing..... I won't ever. I just need the leaves off. They can rot and break for all I care. They won't hit the sign. I am looking for a fast and cheap way. There is NO need to spend a 1000.00+ dollars to remove them.(So high because they must be pulled up ditch long way) Thanks!I am looking for a fast and cheap way.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

If they only need to be dead and it doesnt matter if they fall over then why not just fall them and leave them?

Girdling them is probably the cheapest. All you need is a hatchet or knife.

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

you do own these trees???

8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

"I am looking for a fast and cheap way."

Most of the time this is the wrong way and will come back to bite you in the a$$

9. ARLawnCare#1

from AR

"I am looking for a fast and cheap way."

Most of the time this is the wrong way and will come back to bite you in the a$$

THIS IS THE ONE PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE!!! I am a grown man looking for answers to a direct question. NOT the consequences. Don't you think I know sometimes things backfire? This is in the middle of a cotton field that I OWN!!!! NEXT time don't comment to my posts UNLESS you can acctually ANSWER the question!!

10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

...then call tru green or lesco or your ag dept and ask them. Too many uncertified clueless people here...thats what really wrong...lol