killing weeds b4 seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by basic lawn, Mar 17, 2003.

1. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

I would like your practical suggestion:
    any way to get a head start with regards to killing weeds --if they are not actively growing yet-- in preparation for seeding cool grasses in early spring?.

Thank you,
    Basic Lawns

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Most broadleaf weed control specifies a wait of 6 weeks before seeding. You ahve 2 choices - chemicals early in the season and seed late, or seed early and hold off on chemicals until the grass starts to establish. If you're trying to control grassy weeds, Tupersan can be used just about anytime.

3. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

Thanks for your kind response. I was wondering, when you said chemical early and seed late, does late mean seed in fall or in late spring? Thanks again!

Basic in NJ

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked in SE Pa. (Lehigh Valley), we would do some dormant seeding as late in the fall as possible, especially on athletic fields. I was never satisfied with the germination we got in the spring. If weeds dominate the area you want to seed there may be some advantage to using chemicals early in the spring, followed later by seeding. My preference is to seed early in the spring (make an educated guess at when soil temperature will allow germination and seed before then), followed later in the season with post emergent weed control.