Killing weeds

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

I have a few customers that have some weeds in rock areas and I have just been trimming them every 2 weeks. It is a pain because I have to worry about
    throwing rocks all over. I was thinking about just spraying them to save me time. Roundup is too expensive and I was wondeing what you guy's would suggest. I had someone suggest gas?? If that is ok how would you apply it??

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Go to your local farm supply stores and look for Glyphospate. Around here it is usually sold under the brand name "Gly-Star" and is in concentrate form. Glyphosphate is the killer in Round-Up and when under a different brand name, it costs about 1/3 cheaper. Buying it in concentrate form makes it even cheaper as well. :)
  3. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Don't use gas. Besides the fire hazzard, the smell will really upset your customer if it's near the house. When it mixes with earth it looses the gasoline smell after a bit and just stinks. Just hit it with Roundup. It's cheaper and less stressful in the end. Charge accordingly....

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but you have to have a license to spray any pesticides, and the fines if cought are very steep....have the homeowner spray it to stay out of trouble, i know it sounds stupid, a homeowner may buy the products and apply it but you may not.....:)
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ask the homeower to go to Depot and get a gallon of ready mix and have him spray it. Tell him you can't be responsible for any breakage resulting from rock flying up.
  6. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

In Fl an LCO can apply over the counter products as long as the home owner supplies them.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Let me get this straight, you're saying gasoline at $3 / gallon is cheaper than Round up at $1 / gallon? Not to mention I don't think most of your customers will take too kindly to your violation of environmental affairs, either.

A gallon of super concentrated round-up costs $110 and makes right about 100 gallons of solution after it is mixed with water, if you can't afford this then perhaps consider weed cultivation as a form of control.