1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

killing weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Common Ground, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Common Ground

Common Ground LawnSite Member

I have not used glystar(roundup) yet but i have several customers wanting it. The weeds are growing in their rock gardens which are landscaped with assorted flowers and plants. Im not sure about using roundup here. wont it kill everything in the flower gardens? I dont want to ruin their yards. I cant pull by hand either, the gardens are huge. Weedwhaking out of the question, many loose rocks are everywhere. any suggestions? :waving:
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I wouldn't recommend using Glyphosate in flower gardens.

Contact you Lesco Rep or whoever you go through as there are very good selective products on the market to meet you exact needs.

I will have to get you the names later as they have left my mind for now. Anyway you can use the product and not have to worry about killing most flowers and I also add a grass control product also.

I will get back to you on this. Sorry it has been a long fall and just can't remember the names.
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

use glyphosate , spot spray just the weeds .
    first of all ,,,, read the label ,
  4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

also, once you treat the "weeds", without some kind of preemergent you will be in the same boat in no time:(

i knew a guy that would put rubber glove on, then put a sock over the glove, dip his hand in a mixed glyphosate product, then he would gently grab the "weeds", worked for him, not exactly a safe practice with just any herbicide
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The product is called Lontrel and also I add a generice Fusilade for grass control. You can use Roundup but if you get ANY drift at all you are cooked. These products are much more forgiving and are designed for flower bed control.

Good Luck!
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt spray lontrel over flowers unless you know that it wont harm them. I use it very often and it is a large part of my over the top program and It will burn certain flowering plants. Image has a much larger over the top label you may want to read both. that is if you are licensed.
  7. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Glyphosate would be part of my choice.

Glyphosate is absorbed by green parts of the plant. If you can spot spray only the weeds, it won't hurt anything else. It has no activity in the soil, won't be absorbed by roots. If you keep your droplets big so they're not likely to drift and spray close and careful when there's no wind, you should be okay.

The down side is that it only kills what it touches but as soon as these weeds die, more will come back up. You'll have to treat every few weeks or more often unless you can get the weeds under control and then handweed weekly.

I use Surflan. It's not realy popular with landscapers (I grew up on a farm and it's a popular AG chemical). Surflan is a premergent herbicide that prevents seeds from germinating and works in the soil. It won't kill anything that is already sprouted. In farming, it's often sprayed right over corn as soon as the corn starts to emerge from the soil. This prevents any weeds from coming up during the summer but doesn't hurt the corn. I mix glyphosate with surflan and spay the mix. The glyphosate kills the weeds and the surflan prevents new weeds from coming up...for up to 12 months.

Be careful, many premergent pesticides will kill plants.

However, if flowers are grown in these beds from seed, there's not much you can do except spray glyphosate frequently.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You are correct as you do want to read the label and be familiar with the product...as it can be hard on the Solanacea family.

I have never had a problem with killing any flowers or plants though.

I don't try and spray directly over the flowers and or shrubs unless the weeds are growing directly through them. But atleast this product is more forgiving then Gly.

I just don't like the thought of using Gly as to me there is too much risk in an off target kill.