kim lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

At the risk of being bashed for discussing brands not associated with sponsoring members of this forum I got my hands on some Kim mini MR16 vaults to be installed at a clients home.

I am really happy with the quality and appearance of these fixtures. They are a bit on the expensive side but they seem to be built like a tank.

Anyone with any experience with these or am I being decived? only thing I could ask for is a bit longer leads. I got about 15 ft to run to reach my hubs so Im going to splice in a lead inside the housing

2. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

Billy- Kim is a great company with a ton of quality products. I have installed alot of there stuff for commercial projects and have been very pleased. You will just have to live with the length of the leads or add them as we do because unlike Hadco they will not add them for you at the factory. If you start doing any commercial projects I would look at using them.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

4. Pro-Scapes

Frontier your only looking at 1 fixture from this company. They produce many many fixtures. The ones I am using are much different and if you saw the application they were going in its about the only fixture I have found that would fit and do the job and look great while doing it.

They will be installed tmrw and if the client approves it then I will unscrew the bottom plate and anchor them to the place they are going. Should make for a rock solid installation.

They are definatly industrial quality as far as I can tell.

LTV766.jpg

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

looking at there online cat was hurtin my eyes. they need to make the website more user friendly.

6. Pro-Scapes

I got hard catalogs here. I never been to kims website. I just installed these today and if the client likes the way they look I will have to drill out the bottom plates and get some anchors so the kids dont knock em over. Really smooth looking on an older hours with all the brass porch lights and door hardware

7. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

I've never heard of Kim lighting. I've been in this business for quite a few years, and the one thing I've learned is that even good fixtures can sometimes be crap. Up in our neck of the woods, there aren't too many companies I'll use for fixtures. The seasons will kill any cheap made fixtures. I'm not going to name names, but one of the larger more reputable companies that makes fixtures will never be used by me again. Most of you guys probably use them, but up here they are better used as a paper weight.

I might have to look up Kim lighting and see what they are all about, but I'm more than happy with the fixtures I've been using for the last few years.

8. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

I've never heard of Kim lighting. I've been in this business for quite a few years, and the one thing I've learned is that even good fixtures can sometimes be crap.

Holy moly! This is the original company who started landscape lighting in the 1920's. You never heard of them. This is sad.

9. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

It's not sad, it's just not pertinent to my business. I don't use a common distributor for my products, and the ones that I know of in this area don't carry the Kim line. I've done a lot of tear outs and never have I come across these lights, nor have I ever had anyone bring this line up to me.

As far as them starting landscape lighting in the 1920's.....good for them. Kmart was one of the first big box retail chains and look where they're at now. Them being the first to start landscape lighting has no bearing on anything at all.

10. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

You got a real attitude problem Dave. Have some respect for the company that started it all would you.