1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kind of an emergency....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AgriCut, Feb 11, 2008.

1. AgriCut

AgriCut LawnSite Member

I have a potential customer that has called and said the she had a (roughly) 25 foot crab apple tree that fell over in her front yard, root ball and all.

Can someone tell me how you would go about bidding something like that?

It needs cut up and hauled away. I have a 6x6 bed pick up and need to figure out not what to charge, but how to go about charging. Theres a lot of branch structure so Im guessing 3-4 loads and will be hauling roughly 14 miles, one-way, to a dump site. I need to figure what I should rent my vehicle for, should I include the dump fees? I also want to charge $40 a man hour. Kind of hard pressed for time as I told her I would let her know in 2 hours, but dont want to rush anyone. Thanks in advance.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I would figure it by how many hours it will take plus dump fees.
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

might try posting same question on arborsite.com as well. this is mostly landscaping and grass cutting here.....
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you post picture. that would be the best way we can tell you what would be a commercial price.:drinkup:
  5. AgriCut

AgriCut LawnSite Member

I can, yes. give me 2 hours and Ill do it. Ill also check with arborsite as well. Didnt know that it existed and this was the first place i ran to for information. Thanks for the quick replies.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Figure 6 hours plus dump fees. Depending on the dump distance I think you can cut it up in less than 2 hours.
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Your sig says you have a 16ft tandom trailer also. Can you use that also so you can do it in one trip? You cant charge extra because you dont have the equipment to haul it away in one trip. A tree service would have a large truck that would only use one trip, and they would only charge for the time they are actually on site. You may want to call a local tree service, get an estimate for thier price, and use that.

You should be albe to completely limb it in 15 min, and cut the trunk up in another 15-20 depending on size. The root ball will be your biggest problem, there may still be roots attaching it to the ground. Gotta a skid steer?

Other then any problems you may have with the roots, I would think around 1.5-2 hours to cut and load it up, if you can get it in one load. I think your looking at about $250-$290 on that job, but not completely sure.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't make the customer's problem into your emergency, either you can do this, or you can't.
  10. AgriCut

AgriCut LawnSite Member

She called before I could get anything uploaded and I told her $350 off the top of my head and she said OK! My buddy said that I can dump in his yard for bon fire which is right down the street so I made out. I dont see it as being there more than 4 hours, including dump time.

about my trailer...its ordered, paid for and is being constructed. so I dont have it, but we had high winds all night long and she called bright and early, thats why i was in such a hurry, being that this is my first customer and being excited and what not.

Thanks for the replies and cristicisms. They are very much needed as I strive to create such a professionalism that customers look for.