1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kinda crazy but....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jajwrigh, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Anyone ever run over an animal while mowing?! I hit a family of rabbits once and it took me a few days to get over the sound of breaking bones and the blood all over the yard. These last few months with no mowing is making me stir crazy...
  2. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I'm glad i'm not the only one, By the way only a 1 garter snake to my name
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just crickets and frogs... thats about all. Oh... did I forget snakes intentionally!!!
  4. Farmer

Farmer LawnSite Member

I got the snakes...but the worst thing I ever hit would be a family of rabits... then two weeks later, I hit a second family. Same property, different side of the house..... And ofcourse I was using a walkbehind;) anyone ever have a problem with mice building nests in engine shrouds? I once had this happen on a lawn tractor, when I hit the key... my leg got kinda messy.
  5. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

of mice and men.
  6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have hit nests of rabbits before. One time I had to unravel a gardner snake from around one of my spindles.;) MESSY;) . I try to be as careful as possible, but in tall grass you never really know what you are going to run into. Or what is going to run into you for that matter.
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

There's a large property (4+ acres) that I take care of down by the Ohio River. Prime breading ground for moles. :D You got it! I hate those little moles more than any other animal on that property. One day I messed up at least a half acre of stripes chasing on of those little #**$^s around. Well worth it to see it shoot 30' out of the discharge chute.
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

i only hate it when after you hit th nest of rabbits, that you then have to put the squimers out of their misery. tge heel of the boot to their little bodies is no picnic. but i guess if i were a redneck, that it'd be hossenfeffer dor dinner
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

god i would be just beside myself if i ever hti a rabbit or somthing. ive been ok thus far as far as critters go.
  10. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of rodents........ mice n rats. I did this field once and the thing was packed with mice! It was a massacer. I felt like a real A'hole but I had to mow it. I fell realy bad even talking about it. If they were rats it wouldn't be so bad but little mousys............It's a bit harsh
    Few snakes.........not too many though. They seem to bugger off with all the noise.